TribLIVE

| News


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

OSHA decides no fine in fatal well fire in Greene County

Daily Photo Galleries

Wednesday, Aug. 13, 2014, 9:48 p.m.
 

Chevron will not be fined by federal authorities for a fatal fire at a well in Greene County.

The U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration decided that no citations will be issued and concluded that the cause of the fire Feb. 11 at the Lanco well pad in Dunkard could not be determined.

Ian McKee, 27, of Warren, a field service technician for Cameron International Corp., was killed as he and another worker ran to the wellhead in response to a hissing sound they heard during a morning safety meeting.

The state Department of Environmental Protection this month said the leak was likely caused by an inexperienced gas worker who loosened a bolt without proper supervision.

OSHA said in a release issued Tuesday that it was in touch with McKee's family during what it called “an in-depth, six-month” investigation into the fire. McKee's parents sued Chevron in June.

Michael Hasch is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7820 or mhasch@tribweb.com.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 
 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Stories

  1. Mt. Lebanon High School to sell its planetarium equipment
  2. Pitt notebook: Pitino: This year’s Pitt team not as talented as past years
  3. Pitt coach Narduzzi adds N.J. linebacker recruit
  4. Linemen commit to PSU, boosting Franklin’s recruiting class
  5. Storm could drop 4-6 inches of snow on Pittsburgh area
  6. Energy companies vie for experienced workers with skills in high demand
  7. One of two Marines killed in chopper crash was from Indiana, Pa.
  8. NFL notebook: Chances dwindle for Browns receiver Gordon after failed drug test
  9. Energy-saving tactics pay off in Green Workplace Challenge
  10. Bloomfield bookstore owner bucks naysayers
  11. Decor using bicycle parts looks right at home