Rabid bat found in Oakmont
The Allegheny County Health Department is urging anyone who had contact with a rabid bat found in Oakmont to call the department.
The health department removed the bat, which was found on Aug. 8 near the bleachers of the Third Street baseball field, and it tested positive for rabies. Children were playing on the field when the bat was found, according to the health department.
Anyone who was scratched, bit or had contact with the bat should call the health department at 412-687-2243.
This was the 11th rabid animal – two cats, two raccoons, five bats and two groundhogs – reported in the county this year. Eighteen rabid animals were reported last year.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Whitehall native John Gibson flourishes in goal for Ducks
- Mother, baby found dead in Millvale apartment
- Unusual fruiting vines offer tasty options for Western Pennsylvania gardens
- Hyde Park woman, 38, faces sex charge with teen
- Route 422 reopened after serious accident in Kittanning Township
- NCAA suspends Syracuse coach Boeheim, strips victories
- Steelers sign former ACC Player of the Year Boyd for QB depth
- Polamalu could be next in long line of Steelers greats given unceremonial exit
- 2 found dead in Harrison home
- Penn-Trafford’s Coy, Franklin Regional’s Brown escape with close wins
- Rape suspect stoned, beaten to death in India