Rabid bat found in Oakmont
The Allegheny County Health Department is urging anyone who had contact with a rabid bat found in Oakmont to call the department.
The health department removed the bat, which was found on Aug. 8 near the bleachers of the Third Street baseball field, and it tested positive for rabies. Children were playing on the field when the bat was found, according to the health department.
Anyone who was scratched, bit or had contact with the bat should call the health department at 412-687-2243.
This was the 11th rabid animal – two cats, two raccoons, five bats and two groundhogs – reported in the county this year. Eighteen rabid animals were reported last year.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- ‘Pelican Dreams’ strikes gold with big birds
- Police identify driver in North Side crash that killed pregnant woman
- Heart stent implanted, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ginsburg goes home
- Firefighters extinguish fire that damages 6 cabs at Yellow Cab Co.
- McCarthy-era felon: Lies doomed me
- Justices consider social media, free speech
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger says Saints game is ‘must win’
- Cathedral may host slave trade museum
- Steelers’ backups Archer, Harris ready to run
- Remember our troops
- Starkey: Rutherford will add when timing’s right