Rabid bat found in Oakmont
The Allegheny County Health Department is urging anyone who had contact with a rabid bat found in Oakmont to call the department.
The health department removed the bat, which was found on Aug. 8 near the bleachers of the Third Street baseball field, and it tested positive for rabies. Children were playing on the field when the bat was found, according to the health department.
Anyone who was scratched, bit or had contact with the bat should call the health department at 412-687-2243.
This was the 11th rabid animal – two cats, two raccoons, five bats and two groundhogs – reported in the county this year. Eighteen rabid animals were reported last year.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Road Trip! Destination: Chicago
- Georgia Tech runs all over mistake-prone Pitt
- Indiana couple’s bond grows stronger after devastating accident
- Pennsylvania legislative redistricting to take full effect in state House elections
- West Virginia whips Oklahoma State for 4th straight win
- Health care law compliance complex for employers
- Steelers notebook: Ex-Steeler Sanders living up to his word
- Original director seeks a restoration for new version of ‘Annie’
- Artists take impressionistic look at Pittsburgh
- Mild spaghetti squash can stand in for pasta
- Cooking Class: Cuisine as varied as wine selection at Open Bottle Bistro