Peduto to appear on 'Meet the Press' Sunday
Pittsburgh's mayor is going national.
Bill Peduto said he will appear as a guest on NBC's “Meet the Press” on Sunday as part of Chuck Todd's first week as the moderator of the venerable show.
“It's quite an honor,” he said on Friday. “I grew up as a kid watching that show.”
Peduto, Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett and Tacoma Mayor Marilyn Strickland will discuss changes in American governance.
Peduto said he plans to tell the country how Pittsburgh has transformed itself from having the image of a “smoky city” based on the steel industry to one that depends on education, medicine and technology for its economy.
“I get 15 minutes or so to put into people's minds that not only are we here, but we are a much different city than what many of them think,” he said.
Peduto said it will be his first appearance on national TV.
An interview with President Obama will lead the show.
Peduto spokesman Tim McNulty said the show is paying the mayor's airfare to Washington, where it is filmed.
The broadcast is set for 10 a.m. Sunday on WPXI.
Bob Bauder is a staff writer for Trib Total Media.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rogue Catholics in Society of St. Pius X to reopen West End church
- Energetic guest conductor inspires fresh performances
- Eagle egg breaks, parents abandon nest
- Norwin High School health teacher charged with selling heroin
- Couple taken into custody after 8-hour standoff in Hempfield
- Players respect coach, refuse to blame Johnston
- Malkin, Hornqvist return to Penguins lineup vs. Coyotes
- Pirates notebook: Locke makes bid for final rotation spot, Tabata cut
- Region’s Goodwill spends $51.6M in 2014, report says
- Jury acquits man accused of 2005 murder in Braddock
- Clymer woman dies in 2-vehicle crash in Homer City