Newsmaker: Walter Howard Smith Jr.
Noteworthy: Family Resources, which seeks to prevent and treat child abuse, will honor Smith at its annual dinner for his 25 years of service to the group.
Family: Wife, Evelyn Savido; stepchildren, Michael Parker and Monica Ayoub; five grandchildren
Occupation: Executive director of Family Resources from 1997 to 2012, and the clinical director for the prior 10 years. Maintains a private practice in psychology and works as manager for integrated programs at the Allegheny County Department of Human Services.
Education: Bachelor's degree in speech, rhetoric and public address, University of Pittsburgh, 1972; master's degree in counseling, 1973; doctorate in counseling, 1990
Quote: "It's important to be recognized and to be recognized by the people I have worked with, who know my work better than anyone."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Lawsuit: Pittsburgh Public Schools should have known officer was abusing boys
- Development could soon be booming in West End
- Highmark asks patients to ‘Meet Dr. Right’
- 2 from Carrick charged in connection with rash of heroin overdoses
- Urban designers share ideas for revitalization of Hazelwood, Downtown
- Police confiscated cellphone of driver who struck 7-year-old girl Thursday
- Allegheny County sheriff’s deputy mending from Family Court scuffle
- Newsmaker: Brittney Jackson
- Teachers union advises lawyers for colleagues of Plum pair investigated on sex charges
- Voters wishing to cast ballot in May 19 primary must register by Monday
- Justice halts religious groups’ birth control opt-out role