Newsmaker: Walter Howard Smith Jr.
Noteworthy: Family Resources, which seeks to prevent and treat child abuse, will honor Smith at its annual dinner for his 25 years of service to the group.
Family: Wife, Evelyn Savido; stepchildren, Michael Parker and Monica Ayoub; five grandchildren
Occupation: Executive director of Family Resources from 1997 to 2012, and the clinical director for the prior 10 years. Maintains a private practice in psychology and works as manager for integrated programs at the Allegheny County Department of Human Services.
Education: Bachelor's degree in speech, rhetoric and public address, University of Pittsburgh, 1972; master's degree in counseling, 1973; doctorate in counseling, 1990
Quote: "It's important to be recognized and to be recognized by the people I have worked with, who know my work better than anyone."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mother, baby found dead in Millvale apartment
- Weather continues to cause crashes, public transportation delays
- Loose barges on Monongahela River highlight woes of winter’s end
- 100 without water in Baldwin Borough and Brentwood, repairs hampered by cold
- Minority employment report: Diversified workforce lacking in Western Pa.
- Federal jury says gas company shorted owners on royalties
- Pittsburgh chess tournament likely to include pair of grandmasters
- Drilling group says Wolf overestimates expected tax revenue
- ‘Bus rapid transit’ link from Oakland to Downtown slow to actualize
- Mt. Lebanon deer-culling corrals sprayed with urine, repellent
- Bangladeshis to speak at Pitt in program against sweatshops