Newsmaker: Dr. Anette Duensing
By The Tribune-Review
Published: Friday, Sept. 7, 2012, 12:01 a.m.
Dr. Anette Duensing
Noteworthy: Duensing received funding from the GIST Cancer Research Fund — a patient-driven organization that funds research on gastrointestinal stromal tumors, or GISTs. This is the seventh consecutive year that the fund has supported research in Duensing's laboratory.
Family: Husband, Stefan
Occupation: Assistant professor of pathology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Background: In 2000, during her postdoctoral fellowship at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, Duensing experienced firsthand the tumor remission of the first GIST patient treated with the therapy drug Gleevec. Since then, her research has focused on a better molecular understanding of the biology of GISTs and the mode of action of Gleevec. Duensing joined the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute in 2003.
Education: Medical degree from the University of Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany, in 1997
Quote: “This generous funding has allowed us to significantly expand our efforts identifying novel treatment options for GIST patients — in particular for patients whose tumors have become resistant to Gleevec over time.”
— Chris Togneri
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Legal experts question prosecuting South Fayette boy for recording bullies
- South Fayette parents express dissatisfaction with handling of bullying
- South Fayette mother wants case against bullied son to be dropped
- Defense experts tell of disease they say claimed 4-month-old from Castle Shannon whose father is charged with homicide
- Newsmaker: Dr. Jan Janecka
- Comedian Gallagher gets his money from North Versailles promoter
- Moon school hiring under fire
- Leader guided changes at Robert Morris
- Allegheny County employees sticking with Highmark to save money, send message
- For undercover officer who tried to nab Lawrence County flasher, work can be ‘drag’
- Obama, Biden visit on economy shifts from Leetsdale to North Fayette