Newsmaker: Dr. Anette Duensing
Published: Friday, September 7, 2012, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Friday, March 29, 2013
Dr. Anette Duensing
Noteworthy: Duensing received funding from the GIST Cancer Research Fund — a patient-driven organization that funds research on gastrointestinal stromal tumors, or GISTs. This is the seventh consecutive year that the fund has supported research in Duensing's laboratory.
Family: Husband, Stefan
Occupation: Assistant professor of pathology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Background: In 2000, during her postdoctoral fellowship at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, Duensing experienced firsthand the tumor remission of the first GIST patient treated with the therapy drug Gleevec. Since then, her research has focused on a better molecular understanding of the biology of GISTs and the mode of action of Gleevec. Duensing joined the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute in 2003.
Education: Medical degree from the University of Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany, in 1997
Quote: “This generous funding has allowed us to significantly expand our efforts identifying novel treatment options for GIST patients — in particular for patients whose tumors have become resistant to Gleevec over time.”
— Chris Togneri
- College teacher training found in study to be ‘industry of mediocrity’ harming educational system
- Pittsburgh police, civilian employees to work convention
- Delayed decision on drilling at parks risks losing Allegheny County millions, County Executive Fitzgerald says
- Sewickley church can repurpose ‘pink house’ to fellowship center
- Newsmaker: Jessica Vega-Rogowicz
- Facial recognition technology moving toward identifying almost anyone
- Small communication firms target system
- Congressmen: VA Pittsburgh ignored requests for Legionnaires’ records
- Sentencing postponed in Pitt online threats case
- Civil War history hides in, around Pittsburgh
- Newsmaker: Tom Lopus
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.