Pittsburgh Foundation gives Pitt two $1 million gifts
By Adam Wagner
Published: Thursday, September 6, 2012, 1:48 p.m.
Updated: Friday, September 7, 2012
Pitt gets $2M for cancer research
The Pittsburgh Foundation gave the University of Pittsburgh two $1 million awards Thursday to fund endowed chairs focusing on cancer research and personalized medicine, the university said in a release.
The Pittsburgh Foundation Chair in Innovative Cancer Research will help Pitt's Cancer Institute work on topics such as cancer prevention and control, cancer and aging and women's cancers.
The Pittsburgh Foundation Chair in Personalized Medicine will seek to advance research concerning how genetic differences can influence a person's susceptibility to and treatment for a given disease.
The Cancer Institute and UPMC will match the gifts, the release said.
Testing for Asian carpto extend to bait shops
DETROIT — Officials plan to expand efforts to test for Asian carp in the Lake Erie basin to bait shops.
Todd Kalish, Lake Erie basin coordinator and acting Lake Michigan basin coordinator for the Michigan Department of Natural Resources, said officials would likely develop a plan to gather samples of live bait shipments rather than survey every bait shop near Lake Erie.
The move comes after word last month that nearly two dozen water samples taken from Sandusky Bay and the Sandusky River in Ohio tested positive for the presence of Asian carp DNA.
No live Asian carp were found.
Scientists fear bighead and silver carp could unravel food webs by disrupting the Great Lakes' ecological systems.
— From staff, wire reports
- Facial recognition technology moving toward identifying almost anyone
- Sentencing postponed in Pitt online threats case
- Congressmen: VA Pittsburgh ignored requests for Legionnaires’ records
- Newsmaker: Tom Lopus
- Civil War history hides in, around Pittsburgh
- Newsmaker: Jennifer Moss
- VA had Legionella bug 5 years before disclosure
- Congressional awards honor 3 Western Pa. teenagers’ achievements
- Newsmaker: Mary Chester Wasko
- State oversight authority demands update on Pittsburgh’s financial management system
- CDC takes didn’t ask, don’t tell us policy on Legionella bacteria at VA Pittsburgh before 2011
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.