Published: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 9:30 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, October 4, 2012
Residence: Bethel Park
Family: Father, Ron; mother, Chris; and brother, Michael.
Activities/interests: A writer for the Bethel Park High School student newspaper, Hawk Eye, since ninth grade, Daniel is on the yearbook staff and an actor in the school play, “You Can't Take it With You.” He is a senior at Bethel Park.
Noteworthy: Daniel won two gold medals in the Pennsylvania School Newspaper Association's summer awards for his December concert review, “Clap Your Hands Say Yeah impress at Mr. Small's,” and his feature photograph, titled “Home of the (Blank)” by the school district and “Wreckage” by the association. It depicts the twisted remains of the old high school as it was demolished. He earned the Hawk Eye's only two gold awards, though the rest of the staff garnered seven silver awards and 11 bronze awards.
Quote: “This is the first time anybody outside of school has recognized my writing. ... To finally get that kind of recognition for something you put so much work into feels great.”
— Matthew SantoniThere are currently no comments for this story.
- Study: Traffic jams siphon $1B a year from region’s drivers
- Written records carry risk of skimming, says accountant reviewing Pittsburgh city books
- VA wants no part of fines proposal
- Community center plans thrill Homewood
- Lancaster transplant patient’s battle isn’t over yet in Pittsburgh
- Police still hunting slaying suspect
- Charitable giving rises across country, county
- Newsmaker: Dr. Lakshmanan Krishnamurti
- Greenbriar Drive homeowners divided over alley maintenance
- Newsmaker: Tom Lopus
- Newsmaker: Jennifer Moss