Residence: Bethel Park
Family: Father, Ron; mother, Chris; and brother, Michael.
Activities/interests: A writer for the Bethel Park High School student newspaper, Hawk Eye, since ninth grade, Daniel is on the yearbook staff and an actor in the school play, “You Can't Take it With You.” He is a senior at Bethel Park.
Noteworthy: Daniel won two gold medals in the Pennsylvania School Newspaper Association's summer awards for his December concert review, “Clap Your Hands Say Yeah impress at Mr. Small's,” and his feature photograph, titled “Home of the (Blank)” by the school district and “Wreckage” by the association. It depicts the twisted remains of the old high school as it was demolished. He earned the Hawk Eye's only two gold awards, though the rest of the staff garnered seven silver awards and 11 bronze awards.
Quote: “This is the first time anybody outside of school has recognized my writing. ... To finally get that kind of recognition for something you put so much work into feels great.”
— Matthew Santoni
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Independence Day festivities scheduled
- Tiny black weevils booming in W.Pa.
- Homestead Cemetery records will be preserved
- Newsmaker: Justin Meinert
- Tradition rules in Pittsburgh: Keep bridge color the same, poll finds
- Public implored to avoid iPhone cases that resemble guns
- Police seeking light blue vehicle after Homestead shooting
- Fireworks displays costly, but W. Pa. communities feel obligated
- South Side Slopes police chase ends with car into a front porch
- Higher school taxes prevail in Western Pennsylvania, Trib finds
- Attorney general accuses Golden Living homes of failing to provide basic services to elderly