Residence: Bethel Park
Family: Father, Ron; mother, Chris; and brother, Michael.
Activities/interests: A writer for the Bethel Park High School student newspaper, Hawk Eye, since ninth grade, Daniel is on the yearbook staff and an actor in the school play, “You Can't Take it With You.” He is a senior at Bethel Park.
Noteworthy: Daniel won two gold medals in the Pennsylvania School Newspaper Association's summer awards for his December concert review, “Clap Your Hands Say Yeah impress at Mr. Small's,” and his feature photograph, titled “Home of the (Blank)” by the school district and “Wreckage” by the association. It depicts the twisted remains of the old high school as it was demolished. He earned the Hawk Eye's only two gold awards, though the rest of the staff garnered seven silver awards and 11 bronze awards.
Quote: “This is the first time anybody outside of school has recognized my writing. ... To finally get that kind of recognition for something you put so much work into feels great.”
— Matthew Santoni
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- City suspending trash collection Tuesday to honor slain worker
- Former Rollier’s store to become art gallery, cafe
- Pittsburgh Trails Advocacy Group volunteers cut trail in South Park
- Rules hamper Franklin Regional attack victim scholarships
- Western Pennsylvania residents chill about forecasters’ spat
- Legal titans prepared to tussle in Ferrante cyanide homicide trial
- Pittsburgh wins Gawker.com ugliest accent tourney n’at
- Water process eyed for 2 parks in Allegheny County
- Judge expected to sign sale order for August Wilson Center for African American Culture
- Prosecutor in Ferrante cyanide trial attacked; partner charged with assault
- Pittsburgh photo exhibit shines light on ‘Good’ work