Residence: Bethel Park
Family: Father, Ron; mother, Chris; and brother, Michael.
Activities/interests: A writer for the Bethel Park High School student newspaper, Hawk Eye, since ninth grade, Daniel is on the yearbook staff and an actor in the school play, “You Can't Take it With You.” He is a senior at Bethel Park.
Noteworthy: Daniel won two gold medals in the Pennsylvania School Newspaper Association's summer awards for his December concert review, “Clap Your Hands Say Yeah impress at Mr. Small's,” and his feature photograph, titled “Home of the (Blank)” by the school district and “Wreckage” by the association. It depicts the twisted remains of the old high school as it was demolished. He earned the Hawk Eye's only two gold awards, though the rest of the staff garnered seven silver awards and 11 bronze awards.
Quote: “This is the first time anybody outside of school has recognized my writing. ... To finally get that kind of recognition for something you put so much work into feels great.”
— Matthew Santoni
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mandated sewer project to increase Alcosan customers’ bills
- Identical twins born at West Penn Hospital a rare medical marvel
- Pittsburgh Public evacuates 3 schools after voicemail threat
- City of Pittsburgh detective, 2 boys finalize adoption before judge
- Embattled VFW mulls image among declining numbers
- Latest flu vaccines offer protection from 4 influenza strains instead of traditional 3
- Wheel separation incidents can prove deadly; NTSB doesn’t track them
- State awards 6 Western Pennsylvania schools mentoring grants
- Jailed ex-officer could cost Pittsburgh $135K
- Fees, interest mount over August Wilson site, Dollar claims
- Professor, lawyer with Pittsburgh ties earn MacArthur ‘genius grants’