Newsmaker: Da LeMon
By Carl Prine
Published: Saturday, October 6, 2012, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Saturday, October 6, 2012
Noteworthy: LaMon will give the keynote address at an 8 a.m. Oct. 24 breakfast at the Rivers Casino to commemorate Disabilities Awareness Month. The event is hosted by Life'sWork of Western Pennsylvania, which helps adults with disabilities become independent and productive. LaMon will speak about how blindness didn't stop him from a career in law.
Residence: Lancaster, Calif.
Education: Bachelor of Science in mathematics from Yale University in 1974; law degree from the University of Southern California in 1977. Occupation: Retired administrative judge; author and motivational speaker.
Background: LaMon began to lose his sight at the age of 4. He was admitted to the California State Bar in 1978. He worked as an aide to a Los Angeles councilwoman, helmed the Disabled Resources Center, an independent living facility in Long Beach, Calif., and was appointed as an administrative judge hearing disability cases in 1981. He won the 1992 World Championship of Public Speaking from Toastmasters International.
Quote: “People who are disabled are people. That's why we focus on the word ‘people' and ‘disabled' second. They want to live meaningful lives and make meaningful contributions to society.”
— Carl Prine
- Pittsburgh City Council chief Harris eyes mayor’s job
- State commits annual $3.8M to Pittsburgh-Harrisburg Amtrak line
- Mt. Lebanon School District to charge for sports, extracurriculars
- Memorial Day weekend traffic expected to be slightly lighter than last year
- Link between Washington County bomb threats, bank heist probed
- Chlorine spill evacuates Wilkinsburg apartment building
- Man shot in face in Greenfield
- Networks swarm on death of UPMC doctor
- Newsmaker: Tom G. Leech
- Western Pa. veterans: Remember reason behind Memorial Day
- Pittsburgh panel to promote diversity in business
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.