Hunter found dead in Armstrong County
MADISON — A man who was found dead in a wooded area of Armstrong County on Thursday morning fell from a tree stand while bow hunting.
The accident happened on private property off Poseytown Road near Mahoning Road in Madison north of Templeton sometime overnight, according to state police.
It's believed the victim was discovered in the morning by a friend who went to look for him. He was found at the bottom of a 19-foot-high tree stand.
Armstrong County Deputy Coroner Brian Myers identified the victim as 52-year-old Daniel T. Egan of 1306 Grandview Ave., North Braddock, Allegheny County.
Egan regularly hunted in the area with a friend who lives nearby, according to Myers.
Fell from stand
Egan was hunting alone when he fell from the stand, Myers said.
Myers said the coroner's office examined the body for injuries, including for broken bones.
He said that after examining the victim for the cause of death, it was determined an autopsy would be performed to find out if he had a medical condition that contributed to his death or if he succumbed to injuries from the fall.
Foul play has been ruled out, he said.
Blunt force trauma
The coroner ruled the cause of death to be blunt force trauma to the thorax and abdomen.
The manner of death was ruled as accidental.
Egan was pronounced dead at the scene.
State police in East Franklin troopers investigated the accident.
Police were assisted at the scene by the state Game Commission, Clarion Hospital Ambulance Service and Distant and Pine-Templeton fire departments.
Mitch Fryer is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-543-1303 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Energetic guest conductor inspires fresh performances
- Pa. woman charged with forging docs to claim she was an attorney
- Newsmaker: Jeff Ritter
- Police say ‘person of interest’ in Andre Gray shooting has not been charged
- Region’s Goodwill spends $51.6M in 2014, report says
- Jury acquits man accused of 2005 murder in Braddock
- North Fayette company changes defendants in Antonio Brown endorsement lawsuit
- Lawrence County father, son charged with running illegal video gambling machines
- Judge dismisses group’s lawsuit against Neville Island coke plant
- Edgeworth man pleads guilty in bank fraud conspiracy
- Washington County school superintendent charged with DUI gets probation