Hunter found dead in Armstrong County
MADISON — A man who was found dead in a wooded area of Armstrong County on Thursday morning fell from a tree stand while bow hunting.
The accident happened on private property off Poseytown Road near Mahoning Road in Madison north of Templeton sometime overnight, according to state police.
It's believed the victim was discovered in the morning by a friend who went to look for him. He was found at the bottom of a 19-foot-high tree stand.
Armstrong County Deputy Coroner Brian Myers identified the victim as 52-year-old Daniel T. Egan of 1306 Grandview Ave., North Braddock, Allegheny County.
Egan regularly hunted in the area with a friend who lives nearby, according to Myers.
Fell from stand
Egan was hunting alone when he fell from the stand, Myers said.
Myers said the coroner's office examined the body for injuries, including for broken bones.
He said that after examining the victim for the cause of death, it was determined an autopsy would be performed to find out if he had a medical condition that contributed to his death or if he succumbed to injuries from the fall.
Foul play has been ruled out, he said.
Blunt force trauma
The coroner ruled the cause of death to be blunt force trauma to the thorax and abdomen.
The manner of death was ruled as accidental.
Egan was pronounced dead at the scene.
State police in East Franklin troopers investigated the accident.
Police were assisted at the scene by the state Game Commission, Clarion Hospital Ambulance Service and Distant and Pine-Templeton fire departments.
Mitch Fryer is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-543-1303 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Blawnox man’s torture, death a robbery plot gone wrong, police say
- Overturned cement truck knocks out power in South Side Slopes
- North Shore access to be limited Saturday for Chesney concert, officials say
- Pittsburgh Mayor Peduto returning from manufacturing trade mission to Cuba
- Penn Hills votes to sell, lease vacant school space
- Plum schools, dealing with sex scandal, to form panel in June
- Duquesne University to raise minimum wage floor
- Land eyed for trail connectors to expand Harrison Hills Park
- Air rifle incidents on the rise, experts say
- CMU, Pittsburgh’s Surtrac program aims to ease traffic congestion
- Lawsuit filed against PWSA for inaccurate billing from radio-controlled meter readers