Newsmaker: Lucille Underwood
Noteworthy: Underwood recently was honored with the Red Cross Humanitarian Leadership award for her work with the Red Cross and other disaster relief agencies in Allegheny County.
Family: Husband Richard, 66; daughters Gretchen Underwood Schaefer, 35, and Danielle Kim, 31; son Richard Jr., 33.
Occupation: Assistant disaster coordinator for the Allegheny County Department of Human Services' Office of Behavioral Health.
Background: Underwood became the county's assistant disaster coordinator in 1997. Since then, she also has worked extensively for the Center for Victims, the Salvation Army and Allegheny County Emergency Services.
Education: Underwood earned a Bachelor of Arts in sociology from the University of Pittsburgh in 1971.
Quote: “I am very grateful to have this job. I meet the nicest people because they're people who are trying to help others through difficult situations. I think I am very fortunate to be allowed to do this.”
— Chris Togneri
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Canadians more fearful, aware after ‘very rare’ attack in Ottawa
- Contempt citation sought by state against Highmark for alleged violation of deal with UPMC
- VA promotion for administrator stuns legislator
- Pennsylvania Attorney General’s Office asked to prosecute case alleging assault of Allegheny County assistant district attorney
- Newsmaker: Mary Barkhymer
- Peduto, Harris compromise on $1.6M for North Side community center
- Prosecutors say cyanide-death defendant Ferrante tested toxin on mice to gauge effect on human
- Pittsburgh police officers start wearing video cameras
- Ross brothers ordered to pay fine, remove debris from Christmas display
- Prosecutor in Ferrante cyanide trial attacked; partner charged with assault
- Proposal to limit access divides Penn Hills, Homewood neighborhoods