Police examine video of McNerney beating
By Margaret Harding
Published: Wednesday, October 10, 2012, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Saturday, October 13, 2012
Surveillance video of the beating death of a Washington & Jefferson College football player shows several people in the area when the crime occurred, Washington police Chief Robert Lemons said Tuesday.
“We can't judge anything off it,” he said. Lemons declined to elaborate.
Running back Timothy McNerney, 21, a Knoch High School graduate and resident of Penn Township, Butler County, was beaten to death in an apparent robbery while walking home from a bar about 2:30 a.m. Thursday with fellow football player Zach DeCicco, 22, of Jefferson Hills. McNerney was found about 90 minutes after being attacked. He was pronounced dead at The Washington Hospital.
DeCicco, who suffered a broken nose and bruises, told police that he fought with three men who tried to steal his cell phone, police said.
The senior defensive back said he managed to break free and run back to his dormitory, where he told friends what happened. He then called campus police, who called city police at 2:54 a.m.
Margaret Harding is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-380-8519 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Marine restores pride of Memorial Day parade on streets of Lawrenceville
- Mayoral candidate Peduto wants to spread growth around Pittsburgh
- Pittsburgh Public Safety director Huss works to lift morale
- Legionella bacteria not found in tests at Washington County mall
- Group battles to repeal state’s prevailing wage repeal
- Group of immigrants welcomed into U.S. citizenship at Soldiers & Sailors
- Pittsburgh City Council chief Harris eyes mayor’s job
- Bethel Park board rejects fact-finding on transportation
- State commits annual $3.8M to Pittsburgh-Harrisburg Amtrak line
- Link between Washington County bomb threats, bank heist probed
- Chlorine spill evacuates Wilkinsburg apartment building
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.