Shenango Elementary School student Tyler Houk earned first place in the U.S. Kids Art Contest for his “A Rocket So I Could Fly to the Moon” submission to Turtle magazine. He earned $1,500 for the school's art program.
Bethel Park High School's forensic team earned second place in combined speech and debate and third place in debate at the Brother Rene Sterner Memorial Invitational. Also earning honors: freshmen Emily Augustine and Shawn Baker, first place in junior varsity policy debate; senior Shannon Fagan and junior Jarrod Cingel, second place in varsity policy debate; sophomores Brenden Kail and Harrison Zelt, second place in junior varsity public forum debate; and freshman Natalie Lalama, second place in junior varsity Lincoln Douglas Debate.
A team from Quaker Valley Middle School tied for second place and a team from Osborne Elementary School finished third in their respective divisions at the History Bowl, sponsored by the Allegheny Intermediate Unit. Osborne Elementary team members were Shane Hale, Dylan Norris, Grayson Spencer, and Logan Wissinger. Middle school team members were Nick Theis, Christian Tobias, Austin Wetzel, and Oliver Wilson.
Seneca Valley Middle School student Jonah Akers performed in the Pittsburgh Children's Festival Chorus during the opening ceremonies of the One Young World Conference in Pittsburgh.
Fox Chapel Area High School students received awards during two Model United Nations conferences.
Junior Evan Botos earned second place and juniors Addison Lynch and Daniel Tabas and sophomore Frank Lou earned third place at the University of Virginia Model U.N. Conference.
Sophomores Sonia Appasamy and Rama Gods earned first place; seniors Bharat Iyer, Susheel Khetarpal, Grade Lloyd, Nathaniel Olbrich, and Taj Singh earned second place; juniors Evan Botos, Kelly Friday, and Annette Kukunas earned second place; and sophomores Frank Lou, Rishi Mirchandani, and Elianna Paljug earned second place, all at the University of Pittsburgh Model U.N. Conference.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Diminishing number of pilots takes toll on small airports in Western Pa.
- Shaler man charged in death of girl, 6, not prosecuted in repeated alcohol cases
- Would-be Troy Hill carjackers scared off by sirens
- 17-year-old male killed, 15-year-old female shot in McKeesport
- Pa. spends millions on death penalty cases that rarely end in execution
- African-American Heritage Day Parade in Pittsburgh draws more than 40 groups
- Inbound lanes of Parkway West, Fort Pitt Tunnel to close this weekend
- Pittsburgh police officer hits pedestrian in East Liberty
- Police urge caution after several Perry South break-ins
- Police investigating death of 23-year-old Munhall partygoer
- Lawsuit claims Plum School District ignored racially-motivated assaults against black students