Bethel budget adjusts millage
By Eric Eisert
Published: Wednesday, November 14, 2012, 8:53 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, November 14, 2012
Bethel Park Council approved a 2013 budget that essentially includes no tax increase but does include a millage adjustment.
Council set the property tax rate at 2.03 mills, down from 2.43 in 2012. Council members said the lower millage is a result of new property assessments in Allegheny County.
“With the new assessments coming. it will be revenue neutral,” Council President Tim Moury said.
Municipal Finance Director Mark Romito said the millage is based on best estimates on what property values will be in Bethel Park, as they have not received final numbers from Allegheny County. Those are due next month.
Moury said the millage rate could be adjusted if muncipal calculations are found to be incorrect.
To balance the $32.5 budget, about $1.7 million from the municipal fund balance will be used.
Council passed a resolution raising usage fees on sewer rates. It agreed to continue the $10 usage fee, but voted to raise usage rates to $6.34 per 1,000 gallons used.
The budget and millage rate passed 8-0. The sewer rate was approved 7-1, with council member Mark O'Brien voting against it. Council member Lorrie Gibbons was absent from the meeting.
Eric Eisert is a freelance writer.
- Allegheny County police counting on remote-operated river vehicle
- Facial recognition technology moving toward identifying almost anyone
- Coast Guard volunteers offer help to ensure boaters stay safe
- Debate on drones raises issue of safety vs. privacy
- Man attacked by dog in Carrick cemetery
- Congressional leaders unswayed by VA promises
- Newsmaker: Mary C. McGinley
- Mt. Washington's Grandview Avenue isn't looking so great these days
- K-9 patrol to return to Lower Burrell police force
- Militaries’ growing use of ground robots raises ethics concerns
- Organ recipients thank donor families
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.