Pittsburgh City Council’s Peduto may vie for mayor
By Bob Bauder
Published: Friday, November 30, 2012, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Friday, November 30, 2012
Pittsburgh Councilman Bill Peduto appears poised to formally announce next month that he will run for mayor.
Peduto promised Twitter followers on Thursday that he would make a “very special announcement ... that you absolutely won't want to miss” at his holiday party Dec. 13 in the Strip District.
Reached by the Tribune-Review, Peduto was coy: “I'm just saying it's going to be a very special announcement.”
At his party last year, Peduto said he hoped to announce his intention to run for mayor this year. His candidacy took on an air of inevitably in the past week when he blanketed voters with fliers seeking money and volunteers for his would-be campaign.
Peduto, 48, of Point Breeze would oppose incumbent Mayor Luke Ravenstahl and Pittsburgh Controller Michael Lamb in the May 21 Democratic primary. Ravenstahl, 32, of Summer Hill and Lamb, 50, of Mt. Washington have said they will run.
Pennsylvania Auditor General Jack Wagner, 64, of Beechview said he is seriously considering whether to enter the race.
Peduto announced this week that he will not seek re-election to his council seat.
Bob Bauder is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-765-2312 or email@example.com.
- Government defends recording Armstrong County man’s jail conversation
- Trib poll: Peduto pulling ahead in Pittsburgh mayor’s race
- Mt. Lebanon School District to charge for sports, extracurriculars
- Prosecutor brings compassion, passion to role as deputy AG
- Newsmaker: Mary C. McGinley
- Mt. Washington’s Grandview Avenue isn’t looking so great these days
- Militaries’ growing use of ground robots raises ethics concerns
- Facial recognition technology moving toward identifying almost anyone
- Newsmaker: Dr. Donald Hoffman
- No known illnesses from Legionella bacteria found in Washington County VA clinic, official says
- Contractor hands over documents on work done at Ravenstahl’s home to U.S. attorney
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.