Newsmaker: Shawn Culp
Noteworthy: Culp was part of an American Culinary Federation team that won a silver medal at this year's Internationale Kochkunst Ausstellung, the culinary Olympics. He was a member of the U.S. regional team, composed of up-and-comers competing one level below the national team.
Residence: South Fayette.
Occupation: Culinary instructor at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh.
Background: Before joining the Art Institute in 2011, he spent four years as an instructor at Le Cordon Bleu Institute of Culinary Arts in Pittsburgh. He was previously the chef at Chartiers Country Club.
Education: Culp received his culinary degree from Westmoreland County Community College in 1999.
Quote: “It was definitely an experience with memories that will last for a lifetime. It's an incredible experience, first to travel to Germany, and then to compete on that level.”
— Tim Puko
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Falling bricks close 2 Squirrel Hill businesses
- Man shot in Hill District
- Mt. Lebanon native, Iraq war hero’s action goes unrewarded
- Owner of Penn Hills tombstone business pleads guilty to swindling the bereaved out of $90K
- Carnegie Mellon University’s Speck device monitors indoor pollution
- Brookline 12-year-old crashes mother’s car
- O’Hara ALS awareness advocate dies at 49
- ‘Swing Night’ has feel of Prohibition-era dance hall
- Shortfalls sabotage promise of union retirees’ pensions
- 17 Pennsylvania veterans inducted into Hall of Valor
- New Castle-area racino remains in limbo