Newsmaker: Richard Manning
Residence: Ohio Township
Family: Wife, Sarah; son, James A. Manning
Occupation: Detective, Allegheny County Sheriff's Office. He's worked as a sheriff's deputy for 14 years.
Education: Bachelor's degree in law enforcement, Point Park University; Allegheny County police academy; Central Catholic High School.
Noteworthy: Named employee of the month for December not only for his work in the investigations division but also for dedicating personal time to singing and playing the bagpipes at police functions, church services and parades. Manning recently completed his second tour singing with the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra for its Holiday Pops show. Manning was first invited to sing for the 2011 show by the late Marvin Hamlisch.
Quote: “I'm so happy to have the opportunity to come back and sing with these professionals. It's a big honor. What I like about the detective squad, in addition to the people you work with, is that you get to know people in the community and sometimes, you're able to get them on the right track. It makes you feel like you're doing something constructive.”
— Bobby Kerlik
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Google grants teachers’ school supply wishes
- Air Conditioning Contractors, Peoples partner on furnace cleanings for low-income residents
- Parents keep children home from Brookline schools after threat
- State lawmakers delay hearings on Corbett’s review of academic standards
- Identical twins born at West Penn Hospital a rare medical marvel
- Number of jobs in high-tech industry outpace workers in Pittsburgh, nation
- Judge drops charges against Ambridge ROTC instructor’s wife
- Mandated sewer project to increase Alcosan customers’ bills
- State awards 6 Western Pennsylvania schools mentoring grants
- Latest flu vaccines offer protection from 4 influenza strains instead of traditional 3
- Nonprofits replace humdrum charity 5Ks with rappelling