Newsmaker: Richard Manning
Residence: Ohio Township
Family: Wife, Sarah; son, James A. Manning
Occupation: Detective, Allegheny County Sheriff's Office. He's worked as a sheriff's deputy for 14 years.
Education: Bachelor's degree in law enforcement, Point Park University; Allegheny County police academy; Central Catholic High School.
Noteworthy: Named employee of the month for December not only for his work in the investigations division but also for dedicating personal time to singing and playing the bagpipes at police functions, church services and parades. Manning recently completed his second tour singing with the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra for its Holiday Pops show. Manning was first invited to sing for the 2011 show by the late Marvin Hamlisch.
Quote: “I'm so happy to have the opportunity to come back and sing with these professionals. It's a big honor. What I like about the detective squad, in addition to the people you work with, is that you get to know people in the community and sometimes, you're able to get them on the right track. It makes you feel like you're doing something constructive.”
— Bobby Kerlik
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- TED Talks event to appeal to millenials
- Trac Fabrication all-terrain wheelchairs open world for disabled
- Amusement ride website leaves readers hanging
- Allegheny County crime lab rates among world’s best
- Revenue from special Pennsylvania Monuments license plates to help maintain monuments at Gettysburg
- Family of Children’s Hospital transplant baby urges feds to change cochlear implants policy
- Carnegie Mellon University picks architect for business school
- Trial near for Shaler man paralyzed in Pittsburgh police shooting
- Toll road system traces roots to Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania Turnpike
- Scientists dismiss dire outlook for Western Pennsylvania winter weather
- August Wilson Center’s financial woes leave little guys in a lurch