Newsmaker: Richard Manning
By Bobby Kerlik
Published: Monday, January 7, 2013, 12:10 a.m.
Updated: Monday, January 7, 2013
Residence: Ohio Township
Family: Wife, Sarah; son, James A. Manning
Occupation: Detective, Allegheny County Sheriff's Office. He's worked as a sheriff's deputy for 14 years.
Education: Bachelor's degree in law enforcement, Point Park University; Allegheny County police academy; Central Catholic High School.
Noteworthy: Named employee of the month for December not only for his work in the investigations division but also for dedicating personal time to singing and playing the bagpipes at police functions, church services and parades. Manning recently completed his second tour singing with the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra for its Holiday Pops show. Manning was first invited to sing for the 2011 show by the late Marvin Hamlisch.
Quote: “I'm so happy to have the opportunity to come back and sing with these professionals. It's a big honor. What I like about the detective squad, in addition to the people you work with, is that you get to know people in the community and sometimes, you're able to get them on the right track. It makes you feel like you're doing something constructive.”
— Bobby KerlikThere are currently no comments for this story.
- Greenbriar Drive homeowners divided over alley maintenance
- County executive: Allegheny risks losing millions with delayed decision on park drilling
- Newsmaker: Jennifer Moss
- Newsmaker: Tom Lopus
- Shaler Area teachers plan strike unless deal reached
- VA had Legionella bug 5 years before disclosure
- National study: College teacher training is ‘industry of mediocrity’
- Pittsburgh police, civilian employees to work convention