Former Nazi concentration camp guard from Sharon dies
A former Nazi concentration camp guard died over the weekend in Hermitage while awaiting a decision on his appeal of a 2010 deportation order, the man's attorney said Wednesday.
Anton Geiser, 88, of Sharon was buried on Monday, Adrian Roe said. He died of complications from injuries suffered in a fall, Roe said.
U.S. District Judge David Cercone stripped Geiser of his citizenship in 2006 after he admitted to being a guard at the Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp near Berlin for most of 1943.
He also served as a guard at Buchenwald Concentration Camp and its Arolsen subcamp from mid-November 1943 until April 11, 1945.
U.S. Immigration Judge Charles M. Honeyman in Philadelphia ordered in 2010 that Geiser be returned to Austria. Geiser appealed that ruling to the Board of Immigration Appeals, the highest court for immigration matters, which heard his case earlier this month.
Geiser claimed he was forced into the service and never killed anyone.
Roe said Geiser's appeal was based on a 2009 U.S. Supreme Court decision that found the appeals board erred in a similar case when it ordered a former guard at an Eritrean prison camp to be deported without considering whether he had been coerced into serving as a guard.
“That's the issue we were struggling with before the Board of Immigration Appeals when Mr. Geiser died,” he said.
Brian Bowling is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-325-4301 or firstname.lastname@example.org.