Couple’s deaths in Mt. Lebanon home fire ruled accidental
By Margaret Harding
Published: Friday, December 28, 2012, 1:36 p.m.
Updated: Friday, December 28, 2012
A couple who died in a house fire in Mt. Lebanon on Thursday succumbed to smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide poisoning, the Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office said Friday.
The office ruled the deaths accidental.
Investigators believe Dennis Miller, 61, and Susan Miller, 56, tried to extinguish the blaze that started in the living room of the home on McNeilly Road, said Allegheny County Chief Deputy Fire Marshal Donald Brucker.
A neighbor on his way to work spotted the flames and called 911 about 7:20 a.m., Mt. Lebanon police Deputy Chief Mike Gallagher said. The home was engulfed in flames when police and firefighters arrived, and the roof collapsed shortly afterward.
Firefighters found the Millers' bodies in the kitchen, Brucker said.
Neighbors said Dennis Miller was on oxygen. The oxygen might have contributed to the fire, Brucker said. The cause is under investigation, but officials found no suspicious circumstances.
Visitation for the Millers will be from noon to 4 p.m. Sunday at Thomas J. Gmiter Funeral Home, 2323 E. Carson St., South Side. A funeral service will follow.
Margaret Harding is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-380-8519 or email@example.com.
- Trib poll: Peduto pulling ahead in Pittsburgh mayor’s race
- Militaries’ growing use of ground robots raises ethics concerns
- $24M tax-increment financing plan sought for Summerset development
- Campaign makes push for organ donations
- No known illnesses from Legionella bacteria found in Washington County VA clinic, official says
- Flavors of the world treat for PSO fans
- Accrued sick time weighs on Pittsburgh budget
- Monroeville family celebrates daughter’s enduring spirit of generosity
- South Side group sponsors wide range of activities outdoors
- Newsmaker: Heather Kaczorowski
- Just hold on, 911 officials say of busy signals, but frustrated callers want explanation
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.