Armored car heist victim’s father dies in Forest Hills
By Rick Wills
Published: Saturday, December 29, 2012, 10:05 p.m.
Updated: Monday, December 31, 2012
The father of a man killed in February in an armored car heist has died, authorities said.
Lawrence H. Haines Jr., 62, of Forest Hills died on Wednesday while using a snowblower on a steep driveway, the Allegheny County Medical Examiner's office said.
Haines died from coronary vascular disease, according to the office.
Haines was the father of Michael Haines, 31, who was shot to death inside a Garda Cash Logistics truck on Feb. 28. His armored car partner, Ken Konias Jr. of Dravosburg, is charged in the slaying.
Konias, who fled with $2.3 million in cash, was arrested in a Florida crack house on April 25. In July, Allegheny County District Attorney Stephen A. Zappala Jr. said his office would not seek the death penalty for Konias, whose trial is scheduled for early next year. Haines' family said they told Zappala they hoped to avoid the prolonged court process a death penalty case could bring.
The elder Haines was employed by International Steel Services Inc., Green Tree, and was a retired reservist with the Pennsylvania Air National Guard.
Services and internment are private.
Rick Wills is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7944.
- Mayoral candidate Peduto wants to spread growth around Pittsburgh
- Marine restores pride of Memorial Day parade on streets of Lawrenceville
- Spanier’s defense team says testimony from ex-general counsel inadmissible
- Group of immigrants welcomed into U.S. citizenship at Soldiers & Sailors
- Legionella bacteria not found in tests at Washington County mall
- Pittsburgh Public Safety director Huss works to lift morale
- Group battles to repeal state’s prevailing wage repeal
- Pittsburgh City Council chief Harris eyes mayor’s job
- State commits annual $3.8M to Pittsburgh-Harrisburg Amtrak line
- Allegheny County pursues $3M grant for sports complex at Montour Junction site
- Campaign makes push for organ donations
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.