Armored car heist victim's father dies in Forest Hills
The father of a man killed in February in an armored car heist has died, authorities said.
Lawrence H. Haines Jr., 62, of Forest Hills died on Wednesday while using a snowblower on a steep driveway, the Allegheny County Medical Examiner's office said.
Haines died from coronary vascular disease, according to the office.
Haines was the father of Michael Haines, 31, who was shot to death inside a Garda Cash Logistics truck on Feb. 28. His armored car partner, Ken Konias Jr. of Dravosburg, is charged in the slaying.
Konias, who fled with $2.3 million in cash, was arrested in a Florida crack house on April 25. In July, Allegheny County District Attorney Stephen A. Zappala Jr. said his office would not seek the death penalty for Konias, whose trial is scheduled for early next year. Haines' family said they told Zappala they hoped to avoid the prolonged court process a death penalty case could bring.
The elder Haines was employed by International Steel Services Inc., Green Tree, and was a retired reservist with the Pennsylvania Air National Guard.
Services and internment are private.
Rick Wills is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7944.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pittsburgh police break up customer fights over Air Jordan 11 shoes
- Christmas in Western Pa. predicted to be ‘slightly white’
- Children treated to gifts, peaceful holiday party at Lincoln-Lemington church
- Tree recycling offered at Allegheny County parks
- Icy roads, cold causing school delays, wrecks in Western Pa.
- Newsmaker: Patrick Juola
- Brashear High ‘little libraries’ program rolls out
- Butler legislator gives weekly GOP address
- Pittsburgh adjusting to new bicycle lane, ‘stop boxes’
- Pittsburgh fraud case, Uganda-based counterfeiting racket linked
- German firm Nextbike to provide first 500 bikes for Pittsburgh sharing program