Sharpsburg rec official removed in sex scandal
Sharpsburg council decided Tuesday night to remove Susan Sundo from her position as head of the borough's recreation board upon learning that she had been arrested earlier in the day on charges of having sex with a 15-year-old boy.
Sundo, 45, is charged with corruption of minors, statutory sexual assault and related crimes for what the teen told Allegheny County and borough police was a five-month relationship.
“I was shocked,” Mayor Richard Panza said. “The first we heard of it was (Tuesday night) when the chief told us in executive session. As soon as council came out of executive session, the first thing they did was remove her from the recreation committee.”
The teen told police that they had sex on at least a dozen occasions, including trysts in Sundo's sport utility vehicle and her home.
Sundo is being held in the Allegheny County Jail in lieu of $20,000 bail to await a preliminary hearing scheduled Jan. 16. She was ordered to undergo a psychiatric evaluation.
Michael Hasch is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7820 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pa. spends millions on death penalty cases that rarely end in execution
- Diminishing number of pilots takes toll on small airports in Western Pa.
- Shaler man charged in death of girl, 6, not prosecuted in repeated alcohol cases
- 17-year-old male killed, 15-year-old female shot in McKeesport
- African-American Heritage Day Parade in Pittsburgh draws more than 40 groups
- Pittsburgh police officer hits pedestrian in East Liberty
- Newsmaker: Bob Herbert
- Police: Man steals cash from tip jar at South Side restaurant
- Munhall standoff leads to prostitution arrests in Pittsburgh’s South Side
- Police urge caution after several Perry South break-ins
- Counter attackers by tossing items, experts advise college students