Newsmaker: Tammy Helman
Published: Wednesday, January 16, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Wednesday, January 16, 2013
Noteworthy: Helman is one of 42 people from across the United States selected to judge the Terri Lynne Lokoff/Children's Tylenol National Child Care Teacher Awards. Winners will be announced on Feb. 1 and honored April 11 in Philadelphia. The awards are presented annually in memory of Terri Lynne Lokoff, a day care teacher who died in a car crash at 25 in 1986.
Occupation: Preschool teacher at Crossroads Presbyterian Church in Monroeville
Background: Helman has taught preschool in Ohio and Pennsylvania.
Education: Bachelor of science degree in child development from Indiana University of Pennsylvania, 1992
Quote: “I actually won the award in 2006 (she received the Helene Marks Award and was named the National Child Care Teacher of the Year) ... and have been on the selection committee. This is something I look forward to.”
— Craig Smith
- Chlorine spill evacuates Wilkinsburg apartment building
- Stamps to mark Gettysburg’s 150th
- Bethel Park board rejects fact-finding on transportation
- Newsmaker: Heather Kaczorowski
- Memorial Day weekend traffic expected to be slightly lighter than last year
- Link between Washington County bomb threats, bank heist probed
- Corbett wants clarification on education standards
- Competitors offer tips to Stanton Heights school startup
- ‘We plan to win,’ says GOP chief of Wander’s quixotic bid for Pittsburgh mayor
- Gift helps Humane Society help cats
- Mt. Lebanon School District to charge for sports, extracurriculars
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.