Newsmaker: Ross Mantle
Noteworthy: Mantle was one of two winners of the Fellowship 13 International Photography Competition, a juried photography competition hosted by the Silver Eye Center for Photography in the South Side. His series, “California, Pennsylvania,” drew inspiration from the legend that the Washington County town of the same name was founded by gold-rush settlers who only made it as far as the Monongahela, and named the town for their destination. The series will go on display at Silver Eye on Jan. 25, with an artists' talk at 10 a.m. Jan. 26.
Residence: Mantle splits his time between his hometown of Bethel Park and an apartment/studio in Brooklyn, N.Y.
Family: Father, Tom, and mother, Monica.
Education: Bachelor of Arts in visual communications, Ohio University, 2008
Background: Mantle's work has been commissioned by ESPN The Magazine, Monocle, Bloomberg Businessweek and Fader.
Quote: “The series is about trying to leave a place, trying to get to a place and a lot of the restless spaces in between. ... It means a lot to me when I get to show my work in the place that I'm from.”
— Matthew Santoni
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt’s new chancellor Gallagher to continue broad role at school
- Liberty Tunnel set to close; other highway projects around Pittsburgh also to start
- Oakland eatery Fuel & Fuddle to reopen under new owners
- Beloved teacher at 3 Western Pa. schools hears from students across nation
- 30 cited for blocking street at union rally at UPMC facility
- Victim identified in Pleasant Hills apartment fire
- 2 sentenced for avoiding arrest after Steelers player was stabbed
- Newsmaker: Shirley Ho
- Feds admit cooperation remains obstacle with corporations, cyber threats
- Fire at Indiana County lumber yard appears accidental; loss set at $350K
- Corbett christens $960K bus shelter, bicycle station in Robinson