Newsmaker: Ross Mantle
Published: Thursday, January 17, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Thursday, January 17, 2013
Noteworthy: Mantle was one of two winners of the Fellowship 13 International Photography Competition, a juried photography competition hosted by the Silver Eye Center for Photography in the South Side. His series, “California, Pennsylvania,” drew inspiration from the legend that the Washington County town of the same name was founded by gold-rush settlers who only made it as far as the Monongahela, and named the town for their destination. The series will go on display at Silver Eye on Jan. 25, with an artists' talk at 10 a.m. Jan. 26.
Residence: Mantle splits his time between his hometown of Bethel Park and an apartment/studio in Brooklyn, N.Y.
Family: Father, Tom, and mother, Monica.
Education: Bachelor of Arts in visual communications, Ohio University, 2008
Background: Mantle's work has been commissioned by ESPN The Magazine, Monocle, Bloomberg Businessweek and Fader.
Quote: “The series is about trying to leave a place, trying to get to a place and a lot of the restless spaces in between. ... It means a lot to me when I get to show my work in the place that I'm from.”
— Matthew Santoni
- Newsmaker: Dr. R. Donald Hoffman
- Memorial Day weekend traffic expected to be slightly lighter than last year
- Newsmaker: Tom G. Leech
- Bethel Park board rejects fact-finding on transportation
- Competitors offer tips to Stanton Heights school startup
- Stamps to mark Gettysburg’s 150th
- Link between bomb threats, bank heist probed
- Corbett wants clarification on education standards
- Oakland institute to make Catholic philosopher’s works high-tech
- Government defends recording Armstrong County man’s jail conversation
- No known illnesses from Legionella bacteria found in Washington County VA clinic, official says
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.