Newsmaker: Ross Mantle
Published: Thursday, January 17, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Thursday, January 17, 2013
Noteworthy: Mantle was one of two winners of the Fellowship 13 International Photography Competition, a juried photography competition hosted by the Silver Eye Center for Photography in the South Side. His series, “California, Pennsylvania,” drew inspiration from the legend that the Washington County town of the same name was founded by gold-rush settlers who only made it as far as the Monongahela, and named the town for their destination. The series will go on display at Silver Eye on Jan. 25, with an artists' talk at 10 a.m. Jan. 26.
Residence: Mantle splits his time between his hometown of Bethel Park and an apartment/studio in Brooklyn, N.Y.
Family: Father, Tom, and mother, Monica.
Education: Bachelor of Arts in visual communications, Ohio University, 2008
Background: Mantle's work has been commissioned by ESPN The Magazine, Monocle, Bloomberg Businessweek and Fader.
Quote: “The series is about trying to leave a place, trying to get to a place and a lot of the restless spaces in between. ... It means a lot to me when I get to show my work in the place that I'm from.”
— Matthew Santoni
- Militaries’ growing use of ground robots raises ethics concerns
- Trib poll: Peduto pulling ahead in Pittsburgh mayor’s race
- Allegheny County Bar claims lawyer Luvara ‘unqualified’ for Common Pleas judge
- Lawyers’ trainer Bush ready for family court role
- South Side group sponsors wide range of activities outdoors
- Allegheny County Common Pleas Court judge candidate Behrend Ernsberger cites variety of cases handled in court
- Ward wants chance to make difference in family court
- Cooper says years in court give perspective for Common Pleas judge seat
- Satler says trial experience makes her case for judicial post
- As judge, Tranquilli wants to intervene early
- Nauhaus says prison costly, taxpayers ‘paid enough’
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.