Newsmaker: The Rev. R. Drew Smith
By Brian Bowling
Published: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Tuesday, January 22, 2013
Noteworthy: The Pittsburgh Theological Seminary named Smith as its professor of urban ministry after a 21⁄2-year nationwide search. Smith starts on June 1. The seminary is a graduate professional institution of the Presbyterian Church, enrolling more than 300 students annually.
Residence: Indianapolis; he will commute to Pittsburgh for the first year.
Family: Wife, Angelique Walker-Smith.
Background: Smith is scholar-in-residence at Morehouse College's Leadership Center in Atlanta and co-convener of the Transatlantic Roundtable on Religion and Race. He is the former director of the Center for Church and the Black Experience at Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary in Evanston, Ill.
Education: Bachelor's degree from Indiana University; master of divinity from Yale Divinity School; and master's and doctorate degrees in political science from Yale University.
Quote: “It's an exciting opportunity and will allow me to focus systematically on quite a bit of research and writing that I've been doing on issues related to the church and poverty and the church and new immigrant populations.”
- Government defends recording Armstrong County man’s jail conversation
- Mt. Lebanon School District to charge for sports, extracurriculars
- Prosecutor brings compassion, passion to role as deputy AG
- Facial recognition technology moving toward identifying almost anyone
- Trib poll: Peduto pulling ahead in Pittsburgh mayor’s race
- Mt. Washington’s Grandview Avenue isn’t looking so great these days
- Humans will retain key role in robot use
- Newsmaker: Dr. Donald Hoffman
- Militaries’ growing use of ground robots raises ethics concerns
- Man attacked by dog in Carrick cemetery
- Allegheny County police counting on remote-operated river vehicle
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.