Newsmaker: George Stetten
By Chris Togneri
Published: Thursday, January 24, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Thursday, January 24, 2013
Noteworthy: Stetten was granted a Research to Prevent Blindness Innovative Ophthalmic Research Award to support his ongoing research using augmented reality to help surgeons better see and feel during operations on the eye.
Family: Wife, Nancy; two daughters
Residence: Fox Chapel
Occupation: Professor of bioengineering in the University of Pittsburgh's Swanson School of Engineering. Serves as a research professor at Carnegie Mellon University's Robotics Institute and is director of Pitt and CMU's Visualization and Image Analysis Laboratory and the Music Engineering Laboratory.
Background: Stetten has been at Pitt since 1999, where he invented the sonic flashlight, which allows surgeons to see above and below the skin simultaneously.
Education: Stetten earned a bachelor's degree in engineering and applied physics from Harvard University in 1976, a master's degree in biology from New York University in 1986, an M.D. from State University of New York, Syracuse, in 1991 and a Ph.D. in biomedical engineering from the University of North Carolina in 2000.
Quote: “We're taking reality and augmenting it, and we're doing it with imaging as well as touch..”
- Just hold on, 911 officials say of busy signals, but frustrated callers want explanation
- Accrued sick time weighs on Pittsburgh budget
- Monroeville family celebrates daughter’s enduring spirit of generosity
- River volunteers deliver ‘low impact, big results’ in cleaning up Pittsburgh
- Veterans or families seeking benefits from VA are dying for a decision, Trib finds
- Homeless vet sentenced in Downtown assault
- Allegheny County medical examiner: ‘All options open’ in UPMC doctor’s cyanide death
- Mt. Washington drivers to welcome paving
- $24M tax-increment financing plan sought for Summerset development
- Allegheny Health Network CEO ‘unbelievably qualified’
- Newsmaker: Carla Leininger
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.