Newsmaker: Elizabeth Holm
Noteworthy: Will become president in March of The Minerals Metals & Materials Society, or TMS, which fosters learning about minerals processing, metal production and other areas.
Residence: Albuquerque, moving to Pittsburgh in May.
Family: One daughter; husband, David Crockett; three stepchildren; and five stepgrandchildren.
Occupation: Professor of materials science and engineering at Carnegie Mellon University since 2012; currently telecommuting and doing research, will begin teaching classes in fall.
Education: Bachelor of science in materials science and engineering from the University of Michigan; master's in ceramics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology; dual Ph.D. in materials science and engineering from the University of Michigan.
Background: Worked for 20 years as a computational materials scientist at the Department of Energy's Sandia National Laboratories in New Mexico. She is vice president of TMS, which dates to 1871 and has 11,000 members in 70 countries. She'll be the second female president.
Quote: She plans to focus more attention on young and mid-career TMS members. “For a long time, we had a membership that was aging one year, per year on average. We weren't getting a lot of new people in. That is changing.”
— Kim Leonard
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Plum teacher’s lawyer says latest allegations don’t measure up
- Security cameras, more police planned at Monroeville Mall
- Pittsburgh man going to prison for fatally stabbing girlfriend’s son with butcher knife
- 80 percent of drivers found exceeding speed limit in Mt. Lebanon, Bethel Park
- Wet weather puts Three Rivers Regatta events in jeopardy
- More witness intimidation charges are filed against Plum teacher
- Duquesne man arrested again for Megan’s Law violations
- South Side zoning clashes with parking: Workers hurt
- Pension costs burden region’s school districts
- American Airlines manager arrested in Pittsburgh on sex crimes charges
- Investors place their bets on Reserve poker player