Newsmaker: Anna C. Balazs
By Carl Prine
Published: Friday, February 1, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Friday, February 1, 2013
Noteworthy: South Dakota School of Mines & Technology has named Balazs the 2013 Mines Medalist for her research in predicting the behavior of complex polymeric materials through theoretical modeling. She's the fifth recipient of the prestigious award that honors exceptional scientific leadership and innovation.
Occupation: The Distinguished Professor of Chemical Engineering and the Distinguished Professor of Chemical Engineering and Robert Von der Luft Professor at the University of Pittsburgh.
Family: Husband, Steven Levitan, 62, Pitt's John A. Jurenko Professor of Computer Engineering.
Education: Bachelor's degree in physics from Bryn Mawr College in 1975; master's of science and doctorate from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1981.
Background: Balazs joined Pitt in 1987. She has explored polymer plastics and tiny nanocomposites as they mix. She also studies how fluid cells move in channels no wider than a strand of hair — plus gels that can have a wide range of practical uses. She is a fellow of the American Physical Society and the Royal Society of Chemistry.
Quote: “It's just lovely. I'm truly humbled because, if you look at the other people who have won the awards, they're wonderful people. I'm honored just to be included in their company.”
- County executive: Allegheny risks losing millions with delayed decision on park drilling
- Trib wins appeal to open records in settlement with former county inmate
- National study: College teacher training is ‘industry of mediocrity’
- Corbett administration seeking assurances state won’t be left holding Medicaid bag
- Newsmaker: Jessica Vega-Rogowicz
- Sewickley church can repurpose ‘pink house’ to fellowship center
- Small communication firms target system
- Pittsburgh police, civilian employees to work convention
- Newsmaker: Jennifer Moss
- VA had Legionella bug 5 years before disclosure
- South Park model car designers team head to world competition
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.