Young Achiever: Kendra Anderson
By Rick Wills
Published: Wednesday, January 23, 2013, 9:00 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, January 23, 2013
Family: Parents, Jay and Denise; sisters Kelci, 20, and Kayla, 14
Hobbies: Reading, volleyball, photography, travel, watching movies, hanging out with friends and family
Notable: St. Vincent College, Latrobe, has awarded a full tuition scholarship to Anderson, a senior at Plum Senior High School. The Wimmer Scholarship is valued at $120,000. She ranked second in a test given by the school and taken by 225 people. Anderson plans to major in accounting with a minor in Spanish. She has been active as a member of the National Honor Society, a senior class representative with the student government, and varsity team captain for the Plum girls volleyball team. She also serves as a counselor for SummerBLAST Camp at Unity Church.
Quote: “I was shocked. I was making Christmas cookies when my Mom heard about the scholarship on voice mail. There were a lot of people who took the test.”
- Government defends recording Armstrong County man’s jail conversation
- Trib poll: Peduto pulling ahead in Pittsburgh mayor’s race
- Prosecutor brings compassion, passion to role as deputy AG
- Mt. Lebanon School District to charge for sports, extracurriculars
- Militaries’ growing use of ground robots raises ethics concerns
- Accrued sick time weighs on Pittsburgh budget
- CCAC North’s vocational programs put challenged students on path to success
- Debate on drones raises issue of safety vs. privacy
- Allegheny County medical examiner: ‘All options open’ in UPMC doctor’s cyanide death
- Mt. Washington’s Grandview Avenue isn’t looking so great these days
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.