Pyle named to House committees
State Rep. Jeff Pyle, R-Ford City, was named to the House committees on Appropriations, Transportation, Energy and Environmental Resources, and the Committee on Committees by House Speaker Sam Smith, R-Jefferson.
The Appropriations Committee shapes the Commonwealth's spending priorities and Pyle said that “his insight as a former teacher and a public official who has played a key role in local economic development projects is especially important as the nation's challenging economy presents legislators with tough choices on how to prioritize spending in a way that best serves the taxpayers who provide the revenue.”
The lawmaker said that in this legislative session the Transportation Committee will be a very active panel as Gov. Tom Corbett has said the condition of the state's roads and bridges are such that he will advocate for a comprehensive transportation spending plan to fund major repair projects.
“Our region is literally the crossroads of western Pennsylvania and our highways see heavy use as well as punishing storms from the mountain weather,” Pyle said.
“Sen. Don White and myself facilitated the creation of a new rail terminal that created new jobs and removed a lot of coal truck traffic from our roads, but they remain in dire need of repair and I intend to see that work is high on our list of priorities.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Judge allows conspiracy lawsuit against UPMC, Highmark to proceed
- Woman commits suicide in North Braddock police holding cell
- Animal activists targeting Vick at Steelers preseason game
- Pittsburgh poised to settle lawsuits from deadly flash flood in 2011
- North Shore’s Lacock Street to close 3 weeks for construction
- Risks don’t get any better as online dating prospers
- Pittsburgh councilwoman introduces pair of bills to protect animals
- 3 Brentwood council members submit resignation letters
- 2 Brentwood council members keep positions, council approves third resignation
- Animal welfare groups see opportunities in dialogue about Vick signing
- W.Pa. to observe International Overdose Awareness Day