Police investigate death of worker at Oakland VA
Pittsburgh police are investigating the death of a Department of Veterans Affairs worker this week in Oakland.
Employees discovered the body of Patrick Austin, 47, in a bathroom Wednesday morning at the VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System campus on University Drive. City police Cmdr. Thomas Stangrecki said he believes staff members tried to perform CPR on Austin, whom a doctor pronounced dead at 11:19 a.m., he said.
A VA spokesman confirmed investigators are looking into an “unexpected worker death” at the hospital but would release no other details. The Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office has yet to rule on the cause and manner of death and is awaiting results of toxicology tests.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mother, baby found dead in Millvale apartment
- Weather continues to cause crashes, public transportation delays
- 100 without water in Baldwin Borough and Brentwood, repairs hampered by cold
- ‘Bus rapid transit’ link from Oakland to Downtown slow to actualize
- McCandless mortgage broker company president charged with bank fraud conspiracy
- Duquesne University football player died by suicide
- Roadwork detailed for Pittsburgh’s East Ohio Street
- North Hills Girl Scout volunteer sentenced for stealing from camp fund
- Pittsburgh chess tournament likely to include pair of grandmasters
- Loose barges on Monongahela River highlight woes of winter’s end
- Police looking for Duquesne man they say assaulted 13-year-old girl