Police investigate death of worker at Oakland VA
Pittsburgh police are investigating the death of a Department of Veterans Affairs worker this week in Oakland.
Employees discovered the body of Patrick Austin, 47, in a bathroom Wednesday morning at the VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System campus on University Drive. City police Cmdr. Thomas Stangrecki said he believes staff members tried to perform CPR on Austin, whom a doctor pronounced dead at 11:19 a.m., he said.
A VA spokesman confirmed investigators are looking into an “unexpected worker death” at the hospital but would release no other details. The Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office has yet to rule on the cause and manner of death and is awaiting results of toxicology tests.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Group urges Port Authority of Allegheny County to fund more transit routes
- Woman dies after bleeding on sidewalk outside Carrick pizzeria
- Shooting of Pittsburgh cab driver spotlights risks of profession
- Renovation planned for blighted homes in Garfield
- Forbes Road Career and Technology Center students restore vehicle that will be donated
- Alpine touring skiing movement faces uphill climb in Western Pa.
- Newsmaker: David A. Harris
- Carrick crime ‘blitz’ shows early signs of success
- Legislators, Wolf agree on one thing: Higher work zone fines
- Century Inn owner hopes to reopen Washington County landmark, gutted by fire, by end of next year
- Pittsburgh police deliver 2,500 Thanksgiving meals through program