Newsmaker: Dr. Edward M. Stafford
By Luis Fábregas
Published: Wednesday, February 6, 2013, 11:54 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, February 7, 2013
Newsworthy: Stafford recently began a term as president of the Washington County Medical Society
Occupation: Otolaryngologist at Washington Ear, Nose and Throat in Washington
Community: Mt. Lebanon
Education: Graduate of Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine. He completed a residency in otolaryngology — head and neck surgery in 2007 at The New York Eye and Ear Infirmary in New York City. He also completed a fellowship in advanced head and neck surgical oncology at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore.
Background: Stafford serves as a volunteer physician with Catholic Charities of Pittsburgh and is chairman of the surgical division at the Washington Hospital. He is author of several peer-reviewed manuscripts and book chapters on the topic of head and neck cancer.
Quote: “Prescription drug abuse of narcotics is a huge problem in this region. There's no resource for us to determine whether a patient is getting prescriptions from another doctor. It will be a real priority for us to push for the creation of a controlled-substance database.”
- State commits annual $3.8M to Pittsburgh-Harrisburg Amtrak line
- Pittsburgh City Council chief Harris eyes mayor’s job
- Man shot in face in Greenfield
- Bethel Park board rejects fact-finding on transportation
- Western Pa. veterans: Remember reason behind Memorial Day
- Corbett wants clarification on education standards
- Pittsburgh panel to promote diversity in business
- Newsmaker: Andrew Steimer
- Chlorine spill evacuates Wilkinsburg apartment building
- Stamps to mark Gettysburg’s 150th
- Link between Washington County bomb threats, bank heist probed
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.