Pitt names new top lawyer, shifts vice chancellor
By Debra Erdley
Published: Wednesday, January 30, 2013, 2:02 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, January 30, 2013
Former Consol Energy Vice President P. Jerome Richey will become the University of Pittsburgh's top lawyer on March 1.
Pitt Chancellor Mark Nordenberg said Richey, who has been at Consol since 2005, succeeds Jerome Cochran, who headed Pitt's 12-lawyer legal department and served as chief business officer since 2004.
Cochran, who is paid $493,000, will retain the title of executive vice chancellor and continue to serve as Pitt's chief business officer, Nordenberg said.
“This shift in responsibilities also will permit Jerry Cochran to focus on the university's increasingly complex array of business needs as we continue to move through financially challenging times,” Nordenberg said.
Pitt officials did not disclose what Richey's compensation will be. He earned his undergraduate and law degrees from Pitt.
According to a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Richey announced his intent to retire from Consol late last year and received a $772,000 separation payment from the Cecil-based energy company.
Debra Erdley is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-320-7996 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Small communication firms target system
- College teacher training found in study to be ‘industry of mediocrity’
- Delayed decision on drilling at parks risks losing Allegheny County millions, County Executive Fitzgerald says
- Facial recognition technology moving toward identifying almost anyone
- Newsmaker: Jessica Vega-Rogowicz
- Sewickley church can repurpose ‘pink house’ to fellowship center
- Pittsburgh police, civilian employees to work convention
- CDC takes didn’t ask, don’t tell us policy on Legionella bacteria at VA Pittsburgh before 2011
- Sentencing postponed in Pitt online threats case
- Leadership roles shift as result of Pittsburgh police union rules
- Newsmaker: Gabriela Hug
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.