Newsmaker: Edmund M. Clarke
Published: Wednesday, February 6, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Friday, March 29, 2013
Edmund M. Clarke
Noteworthy: The Chinese Academy of Sciences named Clarke, a Carnegie Mellon University professor, an Einstein Professor for 2013. Clarke will visit the Suzhou Institute for Advanced Study of the University of Science and Technology of China this year. He later will host a Chinese scholar for several months at Carnegie Mellon.
Residence: Mt. Lebanon
Occupation: Clarke is professor of computer science and electrical and computer engineering at CMU, and director of the Computational Modeling and Analysis of Complex Systems project sponsored by the National Science Foundation.
Background: Clarke is a pioneer in the field of model checking, an automated method for finding design errors in computer hardware and software. He was inducted into the National Academy of Engineering in 2005 and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 2008.
Education: Bachelor's degree in mathematics, University of Virginia, 1967; master's degree in mathematics, Duke University, 1968; doctorate in computer science, Cornell University, 1976
Quote: “It's a great honor for me to be invited to do this. Some of my very best Ph.D. students are Chinese, and they often stay after completing their studies and contribute to the economy here.”
— Craig SmithThere are currently no comments for this story.
- County executive: Allegheny risks losing millions with delayed decision on park drilling
- Newsmaker: Jessica Vega-Rogowicz
- National study: College teacher training is ‘industry of mediocrity’
- Civil War history hides in, around Pittsburgh
- Newsmaker: Dr. W.H. ‘Bert’ Milligan
- South Park model car designers team head to world competition
- Newsmaker: Jennifer Moss
- Newsmaker: Tom Lopus
- Leadership roles shift as result of Pittsburgh police union rules
- State oversight authority demands update on Pittsburgh’s financial management system
- Corbett administration seeking assurances state won’t be left holding Medicaid bag