Newsmaker: Valerie Njie
Noteworthy: She runs Bidwell Training Center, which the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges named as one of 17 Schools of Excellence nationwide for 2012.
Residence: Stanton Heights
Occupation: Executive director/senior vice president, Bidwell Training Center in the North Side.
Education: Njie received a bachelor's degree in science and elementary degree from the University of Pittsburgh in 1971. She received her master's degree in management from the University of Utah in 1973.
Background: Njie started her career at Bidwell in 1981, working her way up from director of counseling, she said. She is also a photographer, a member of the board of trustees at City Charter High School, a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority and a former volunteer in Pittsburgh Public Schools programs.
Quote: “With that one goal in mind, we were able to institute new values and goals ... just focusing every day on, not training someone to be a cook or a medical coder, but to effect influence in their lives in every aspect so their lives would change.”
— Timothy Puko
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Brentwood police chief to get nearly $200K as part of settlement agreement with borough
- Surgery for man shot by Pittsburgh officer on hold amid legal limbo
- U.S. Steel to relocate corporate headquarters on former Civic Arena site
- RMU dormitory fire will displace 10 students
- Coaches lead discussions to influence athletes’ attitudes toward women, avoiding violence
- State leaders give input on budget woes at Pittsburgh meeting
- Judges with Pittsburgh ties enter race for Pa. Supreme Court
- Allegheny County officials to continue shuttle service in airport corridor, Mon Valley
- ‘Collapse’ displaces 20 residents of condemned Penn Hills rowhouses
- Iraqi family, torn apart for opposing Saddam, reunites in Pittsburgh
- Allegheny County police investigate out-of-state company that hired worker charged in fatal accident