Newsmaker: Valerie Njie
Noteworthy: She runs Bidwell Training Center, which the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges named as one of 17 Schools of Excellence nationwide for 2012.
Residence: Stanton Heights
Occupation: Executive director/senior vice president, Bidwell Training Center in the North Side.
Education: Njie received a bachelor's degree in science and elementary degree from the University of Pittsburgh in 1971. She received her master's degree in management from the University of Utah in 1973.
Background: Njie started her career at Bidwell in 1981, working her way up from director of counseling, she said. She is also a photographer, a member of the board of trustees at City Charter High School, a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority and a former volunteer in Pittsburgh Public Schools programs.
Quote: “With that one goal in mind, we were able to institute new values and goals ... just focusing every day on, not training someone to be a cook or a medical coder, but to effect influence in their lives in every aspect so their lives would change.”
— Timothy Puko
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Peduto blasts Wolf’s plan to borrow $3B to shore up pensions
- Pittsburgh is planning to add network of bike lanes through Oakland
- Woman crashes car at Pittsburgh federal building after high-speed chase
- Fugitive arrested at Plum motel on drug, gun charges
- School credit ratings a problem for several in Western Pennsylvania
- Public Utility Commission will consider fare hikes
- Judge adds 2 years to sentence of Baldwin Borough man acquitted of murder
- Western Pa.’s ties to 2016 White House race extend beyond Santorum
- 2 firefighters injured in Millvale house fire
- Thief’s attorney blames Rivers Casino; judge isn’t swayed
- W.Va. authorities charge 87 with drug trafficking