Newsmaker: Valerie Njie
Noteworthy: She runs Bidwell Training Center, which the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges named as one of 17 Schools of Excellence nationwide for 2012.
Residence: Stanton Heights
Occupation: Executive director/senior vice president, Bidwell Training Center in the North Side.
Education: Njie received a bachelor's degree in science and elementary degree from the University of Pittsburgh in 1971. She received her master's degree in management from the University of Utah in 1973.
Background: Njie started her career at Bidwell in 1981, working her way up from director of counseling, she said. She is also a photographer, a member of the board of trustees at City Charter High School, a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority and a former volunteer in Pittsburgh Public Schools programs.
Quote: “With that one goal in mind, we were able to institute new values and goals ... just focusing every day on, not training someone to be a cook or a medical coder, but to effect influence in their lives in every aspect so their lives would change.”
— Timothy Puko
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Storm could drop 4-6 inches of snow on Pittsburgh area
- Grandview development plan inches ahead in Mt. Washington
- Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh doubles goal with $230M pledged in largest fundraiser
- Project to End Human Trafficking volunteers help Uganda
- Mt. Lebanon High School to sell its planetarium equipment
- Long-term solution for wastewater disposal eludes shale gas industry
- Newsmaker: John O’Brien
- UPMC to debut organ transplant surgery outside Pittsburgh
- Man arrested in massive Homestead fire
- Greenfield Bridge implosion to close Parkway between Christmas, New Year’s
- Lure of tuition aid, gifts draw college students to ‘sugar daddy’ sites