Newsmaker: Valerie Njie
Published: Saturday, February 9, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Saturday, February 9, 2013
Noteworthy: She runs Bidwell Training Center, which the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges named as one of 17 Schools of Excellence nationwide for 2012.
Residence: Stanton Heights
Occupation: Executive director/senior vice president, Bidwell Training Center in the North Side.
Education: Njie received a bachelor's degree in science and elementary degree from the University of Pittsburgh in 1971. She received her master's degree in management from the University of Utah in 1973.
Background: Njie started her career at Bidwell in 1981, working her way up from director of counseling, she said. She is also a photographer, a member of the board of trustees at City Charter High School, a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority and a former volunteer in Pittsburgh Public Schools programs.
Quote: “With that one goal in mind, we were able to institute new values and goals ... just focusing every day on, not training someone to be a cook or a medical coder, but to effect influence in their lives in every aspect so their lives would change.”
— Timothy PukoThere are currently no comments for this story.
- National study: College teacher training is ‘industry of mediocrity’
- County executive: Allegheny risks losing millions with delayed decision on park drilling
- State oversight authority demands update on Pittsburgh’s financial management system
- Civil War history hides in, around Pittsburgh
- Newsmaker: Jennifer Moss
- Corbett administration seeking assurances state won’t be left holding Medicaid bag
- Sewickley church can repurpose ‘pink house’ to fellowship center
- South Park model car designers team head to world competition
- Newsmaker: Tom Lopus
- Newsmaker: Jessica Vega-Rogowicz
- Shaler Area teachers plan strike unless deal reached