Newsmaker: Valerie Njie
Noteworthy: She runs Bidwell Training Center, which the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges named as one of 17 Schools of Excellence nationwide for 2012.
Residence: Stanton Heights
Occupation: Executive director/senior vice president, Bidwell Training Center in the North Side.
Education: Njie received a bachelor's degree in science and elementary degree from the University of Pittsburgh in 1971. She received her master's degree in management from the University of Utah in 1973.
Background: Njie started her career at Bidwell in 1981, working her way up from director of counseling, she said. She is also a photographer, a member of the board of trustees at City Charter High School, a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority and a former volunteer in Pittsburgh Public Schools programs.
Quote: “With that one goal in mind, we were able to institute new values and goals ... just focusing every day on, not training someone to be a cook or a medical coder, but to effect influence in their lives in every aspect so their lives would change.”
— Timothy Puko
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 12-year-old’s donated heart joins families, lets her memory live
- Pittsburgh police officers start wearing video cameras
- Proposal to limit access divides Penn Hills, Homewood neighborhoods
- Foundation donates $350K to revitalize facades in Downtown Pittsburgh
- Former Rollier’s store to become art gallery, cafe
- Allegheny County Council members outspend expense accounts
- City suspending trash collection Tuesday to honor slain worker
- Newsmaker: Thomas J. Usher
- Pittsburgh Trails Advocacy Group volunteers cut trail in South Park
- Pittsburgh wins Gawker.com ugliest accent tourney n’at
- Judge expected to sign sale order for August Wilson Center for African American Culture