Newsmaker: Peter E. Leimkuehler
Noteworthy: The American Academy of Orthotists and Prosthetists will induct Leimkuehler into its 2013 Class of Fellows during its annual meeting Friday in Orlando, Fla. Leimkuehler is one of 14 people nationwide who will be inducted.
Residence: Upper St. Clair
Family: Wife, Sarah and three sons: Oscar, 5, Charlie, 3, and Fisher, 2.
Occupation: Leimkuehler is a certified practitioner of orthotics and prosthetics at Union Orthotics and Prosthetics Co., managing the company's South Hills office on Brownsville Road. He is the residency director for the company, overseeing the one-year residency that new college graduates have to complete before taking the exam to become certified practitioners.
Education: Leimkuehler holds a bachelor's degree in life sciences from Ohio University and certificates in orthotics and prosthetics from Northwestern University.
Quote: Creating and fitting a new orthotic or prosthesis is half science and half art, he said. “I'm helping people yet I'm still being creative — working with my hands.”
— Brian Bowling
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- WVa natural gas line explodes near Ohio border
- Grandview development plan inches ahead in Mt. Washington
- Long-term solution for wastewater disposal eludes shale gas industry
- Project to End Human Trafficking volunteers help Uganda
- Storm could drop 4-6 inches of snow on Pittsburgh area
- Mt. Lebanon High School to sell its planetarium equipment
- Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh nearly doubles goal with $230M pledged in largest fundraiser
- Lure of tuition aid, gifts draw college students to ‘sugar daddy’ sites
- Firefighters rescue woman, dog from burning home in Sheraden
- Man arrested in massive Homestead fire
- Tribune-Review photojournalist Goldband wins 1st place in national competition