Newsmaker: The Rev. Kurt Burnette
Published: Monday, February 18, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Monday, February 18, 2013
The Rev. Kurt Burnette
Noteworthy: Rector, Pittsburgh Byzantine Catholic Seminary, where he studied, 1985-89
Residence: Seminary in Observatory Hill
Occupation: Byzantine Catholic priest
Background: Burnette, ordained in 1989, has served as a pastor for 23 years at various churches in Fontana, Calif.; Portland, Ore.; and Las Vegas. Most recently, he was pastor at Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church in Albuquerque, N.M. He has extensive academic experience in mathematics, science, engineering, computer science and religion; served as an official in the tribunals of four eparchies/dioceses; and was a chaplain for the Fontana Police Department for eight years.
Education: Bachelor's degree in mathematics and electrical engineering, Rice University, 1978; doctorate in mathematics, University of Utah, 1986; law degree, Newport University in California, 2003; and degree in canon law, Pontifical Oriental Institute in Rome, 2007. ,
Quote: “We need the Light of Christ now more than ever.”
— Chris Togneri
- Food haulers targeted by police, ag inspectors
- Quick reaction from couple evacuates burning Bellevue building
- Trauma study in Pittsburgh region won’t need up-front approval
- Oakland institue to make Catholic philosopher’s works high-tech
- Prosecutor brings compassion, passion to role as deputy AG
- Storm won’t pack as big of a punch in W.Pa.
- Newsmaker: Tony Cintron
- Organ recipients thank donor families
- Mt. Lebanon School District to charge for sports, extracurriculars
- Government defends recording Armstrong County man’s jail conversation
- Newsmaker: Melissa Somma McGivney
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.