Newsmaker: Rebecca LaBovick
Noteworthy: LaBovick, a registered nurse, received the 2013 Outstanding Service Award from the Health Care for the Homeless Clinicians' Network. The award recognizes her “dedication, commitment and ongoing work to end homelessness” in the Pittsburgh area, said her employer, Community Human Services.
Occupation: Director of therapeutic services at Community Human Services Corp., Downtown
Family: Husband, Lee; children Ryan, 20, and Gabrielle, 13
Background: LaBovick plays a key role in running homeless assistance programs that help people and families dealing with homelessness obtain resources and learn skills needed to live independently.
Education: LaBovick earned her nursing degree from the former St. Francis School of Professional Nursing in Lawrenceville. She is certified by the American Nurses Credentialing Center as a psychiatric registered nurse clinician.
Quote: “The award itself is an honor, but it's an even bigger honor that three colleagues made the nomination.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Foreign influx in Allegheny County at ‘tipping point’
- 1 intruder killed, other shot and wounded in Carrick home invasion
- TSA finds .380-caliber handgun in carry-on bag at Pittsburgh International Airport
- Pittsburgh crime down overall in 2013 but rapes, homicides increased
- Squirrel Hill Tunnel workers cope with speeders, exhaust fumes
- Emails show Allegheny County Council staff investigated potential snooping
- Generations of Steelers fans flock to practice on Unity campus
- Allegheny County alert system expands to public works, health
- Sewickley man dies in Route 28 motorcycle accident
- Turtle Creek’s man death ruled a homicide
- Pennsylvania Resources Council puts hazardous materials in their place