Newsmaker: Rebecca LaBovick
Noteworthy: LaBovick, a registered nurse, received the 2013 Outstanding Service Award from the Health Care for the Homeless Clinicians' Network. The award recognizes her “dedication, commitment and ongoing work to end homelessness” in the Pittsburgh area, said her employer, Community Human Services.
Occupation: Director of therapeutic services at Community Human Services Corp., Downtown
Family: Husband, Lee; children Ryan, 20, and Gabrielle, 13
Background: LaBovick plays a key role in running homeless assistance programs that help people and families dealing with homelessness obtain resources and learn skills needed to live independently.
Education: LaBovick earned her nursing degree from the former St. Francis School of Professional Nursing in Lawrenceville. She is certified by the American Nurses Credentialing Center as a psychiatric registered nurse clinician.
Quote: “The award itself is an honor, but it's an even bigger honor that three colleagues made the nomination.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police still looking for man suspected of robbing 2 people at knifepoint in Ambridge
- No federal funds to help enforce Pa. ban on texting by drivers
- Allegheny County Council wants to hike members’ $3K expense accounts
- Defying the odds makes this Thanksgiving particularly poignant
- Coaches lead discussions to influence athletes’ attitudes toward women, avoiding violence
- Group’s proposed fracking moratorium for Allegheny County parks to go on council agenda
- U.S. Steel to relocate corporate headquarters on former Civic Arena site
- Man’s death by runaway wheel on Route 28 ruled accident
- Newsmaker: Sister Rita Yeasted
- La Roche College to accept up to 90 credits from community college students
- Millions in pollution fines went unused for decades in Allegheny County