Newsmaker: Rebecca LaBovick
Noteworthy: LaBovick, a registered nurse, received the 2013 Outstanding Service Award from the Health Care for the Homeless Clinicians' Network. The award recognizes her “dedication, commitment and ongoing work to end homelessness” in the Pittsburgh area, said her employer, Community Human Services.
Occupation: Director of therapeutic services at Community Human Services Corp., Downtown
Family: Husband, Lee; children Ryan, 20, and Gabrielle, 13
Background: LaBovick plays a key role in running homeless assistance programs that help people and families dealing with homelessness obtain resources and learn skills needed to live independently.
Education: LaBovick earned her nursing degree from the former St. Francis School of Professional Nursing in Lawrenceville. She is certified by the American Nurses Credentialing Center as a psychiatric registered nurse clinician.
Quote: “The award itself is an honor, but it's an even bigger honor that three colleagues made the nomination.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pittsburgh Mayor Peduto in Cuba on manufacturing trade mission
- Duquesne University to raise minimum wage floor
- Land eyed for trail connectors to expand Harrison Hills Park
- Plum schools, dealing with sex scandal, to form panel in June
- Air rifle incidents on the rise, experts say
- Lawsuit filed against PWSA for inaccurate billing from radio-controlled meter readers
- Penn Hills votes to sell, lease vacant school space
- Thrill of the chase: Kennywood fanatic, 82, rides Jack Rabbit 95 times in a row
- Live coverage tonight of Plum school board meeting
- Allegheny County Council begins process to replace Barbara Daly Danko
- Aging natural gas pipelines in Green Tree to be replaced