Newsmaker: Rebecca LaBovick
Noteworthy: LaBovick, a registered nurse, received the 2013 Outstanding Service Award from the Health Care for the Homeless Clinicians' Network. The award recognizes her “dedication, commitment and ongoing work to end homelessness” in the Pittsburgh area, said her employer, Community Human Services.
Occupation: Director of therapeutic services at Community Human Services Corp., Downtown
Family: Husband, Lee; children Ryan, 20, and Gabrielle, 13
Background: LaBovick plays a key role in running homeless assistance programs that help people and families dealing with homelessness obtain resources and learn skills needed to live independently.
Education: LaBovick earned her nursing degree from the former St. Francis School of Professional Nursing in Lawrenceville. She is certified by the American Nurses Credentialing Center as a psychiatric registered nurse clinician.
Quote: “The award itself is an honor, but it's an even bigger honor that three colleagues made the nomination.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Man taken to hospital after being hit by car in Carrick
- Duquesne Club seeks permission from city to keep 4 rooftop bee hives
- Allegheny County RAD increases budget by $2.5M for cultural, recreational programs
- Threat at Sheraden school a ‘student hoax’
- Newsmaker: Maurice Cole
- Pirates rally planned for Market Square
- Bethel Park police chief to retire in mid-October
- Police: Estranged husband fatally shot by woman’s boyfriend after break-in attempt in Esplen
- Western Pa. towns eye fees to control stormwater runoff
- Allegheny authority bends limits on free tickets for pro sporting events
- Amid tears, Oakmont church members vow to rebuild from fire