Newsmaker: Roger Thomas
Noteworthy: The Ambridge Lions Club presented Thomas with its 2013 Heart of a Lion award for public service. Thomas delivered discarded eye glasses each month to the club for shipment to needy people in other countries.
Neighborhood: Harmony Township.
Family: Wife, Ruth, and two adult sons, Ian and Rod.
Education: Bachelor's in political science and American History, Mount Union College; master's in state and local policy making, University of Arizona; doctorate in law and theology, Southwest University.
Occupation: Substitute teacher Central Valley Middle School.
Quote: “This honor from the Lions is simply a recognition of years of mutual service. The joy of service is that all glory goes to God.”
— Bob Bauder
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- U.S. Steel to relocate corporate headquarters on former Civic Arena site
- Allegheny judge Woodruff, ex-Steelers corner, to run for Pa. Supreme Court
- Allegheny County will stop asking about employees’ criminal history, executive says
- Stores creating Thanksgiving dine-and-dash dilemma
- Iraqi family, torn apart for opposing Saddam, reunites in Pittsburgh
- Police investigating fire at South Side self storage units
- Horse racing industry banks on Wolf
- Savings, aesthetics of LED praised, but streetlight conversion could cost Pittsburgh $13M
- Time capsule salutes 250 years for Fort Pitt Block House
- Martial arts tournament in Marshall fierce, yet friendly
- Allegheny County adoption event joins 40 children with families