Newsmaker: Barbianne Davis
Noteworthy: Davis is a winner of the 10th annual Cherokee Inspired Comfort Award, which recognizes health care workers for the impact they make on the lives of patients through extraordinary care, sacrifice and innovation while serving as an inspiration to others.
Family: Son, Christopher, 6
Occupation: Registered nurse, Heritage Valley Health System
Background: Davis works at Heritage Valley's Sewickley hospital, where she cares for cardiac patients who are stepping down from intensive care. Before that, she worked for UPMC Presbyterian in Oakland. She also cares for her mother, an amputee who nominated Davis for the award. Davis advocates on behalf of the American Diabetes Association.
Education: Nursing degree from Community College of Allegheny County, 2008. Pursuing bachelor's degree in nursing from Slippery Rock University.
Quote: “In a culture where we are so often left to fend for ourselves, nursing has allowed me the chance to give to others in a way that has lasting effects.”
Add Alex Nixon to your Google+ circles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- City’s plan for Strip flummoxes vendors
- Family becomes ‘forever’
- City of Pittsburgh detective, 2 boys finalize adoption before judge
- Orders for Pittsburgh police hats soar with new uniform policy
- Judge denies request to lift gag order in Ford case
- CDC backlog means W.Pa, likely won’t get respiratory virus diagnoses quickly
- Marshall land parcel along Route 910 eyed as park site
- Google grants teachers’ school supply wishes
- 2 Oakland houses destroyed by fire; none hurt
- $5M grant sought for trade center site near Pittsburgh airport
- Local groups hope NFL lends support