Newsmaker: Cynthia K. Richey
By Kim Leonard
Published: Thursday, February 21, 2013, 11:45 p.m.
Updated: Friday, February 22, 2013
Noteworthy: The Association for Library Service to Children named her as its distinguished service award recipient for 2013. ALSC is part of the American Library Association.
Residence: Mt. Lebanon
Family: Husband, Jerry; two sons.
Occupation: Director of the Mt. Lebanon Public Library for the past 17 years.
Education: Bachelor's degree in English and master's degree in library science from the University of Pittsburgh.
Background: Began her career as a children's librarian in 1971; president in 1994 of the Pennsylvania Library Association; president of the ALSC in 2003 and 2004; frequent speaker on library issues; current chairwoman of the Pennsylvania Governor's Advisory Council on Library Development.
Quote: Richey said she has made children's services a priority through programs such as a father-son book group in its 11th year at Mt. Lebanon. “It's so important to reach children early and get their families involved in developing literacy and preparing them for success in school. In this way, we will develop a population that can compete in this global environment.”
- Pittsburgh City Council chief Harris eyes mayor’s job
- Man shot in face in Greenfield
- State commits annual $3.8M to Pittsburgh-Harrisburg Amtrak line
- Memorial Day weekend traffic expected to be slightly lighter than last year
- Pittsburgh panel to promote diversity in business
- Chlorine spill evacuates Wilkinsburg apartment building
- Bethel Park board rejects fact-finding on transportation
- Western Pa. veterans: Remember reason behind Memorial Day
- Mt. Washington’s Grandview Avenue isn’t looking so great these days
- Mt. Lebanon School District to charge for sports, extracurriculars
- Newsmaker: Tom G. Leech
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.