Newsmaker: Cynthia K. Richey
Noteworthy: The Association for Library Service to Children named her as its distinguished service award recipient for 2013. ALSC is part of the American Library Association.
Residence: Mt. Lebanon
Family: Husband, Jerry; two sons.
Occupation: Director of the Mt. Lebanon Public Library for the past 17 years.
Education: Bachelor's degree in English and master's degree in library science from the University of Pittsburgh.
Background: Began her career as a children's librarian in 1971; president in 1994 of the Pennsylvania Library Association; president of the ALSC in 2003 and 2004; frequent speaker on library issues; current chairwoman of the Pennsylvania Governor's Advisory Council on Library Development.
Quote: Richey said she has made children's services a priority through programs such as a father-son book group in its 11th year at Mt. Lebanon. “It's so important to reach children early and get their families involved in developing literacy and preparing them for success in school. In this way, we will develop a population that can compete in this global environment.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Roberto Clemente Bridge closes for construction of bike lanes
- School choice tax credit expansion bill touted
- North Fayette company changes defendants in Antonio Brown endorsement lawsuit
- Man charged in child rape case from 2014 arrested again
- Man briefly charged with killing Larimer man last year
- Sinkhole caused by mine subsidence closes Laketon Road in Penn Hills
- Deliberations begin in party bus shooting in Sheraden
- Newsmaker: Dr. Nancy E. Davidson
- Allegheny County loses population, Census figures indicate
- Body from Ohio River may be link to missing Pittsburgh man Kochu
- Despite demand, women comprise only 11 percent of cyber security workers