Newsmaker: Cynthia K. Richey
Noteworthy: The Association for Library Service to Children named her as its distinguished service award recipient for 2013. ALSC is part of the American Library Association.
Residence: Mt. Lebanon
Family: Husband, Jerry; two sons.
Occupation: Director of the Mt. Lebanon Public Library for the past 17 years.
Education: Bachelor's degree in English and master's degree in library science from the University of Pittsburgh.
Background: Began her career as a children's librarian in 1971; president in 1994 of the Pennsylvania Library Association; president of the ALSC in 2003 and 2004; frequent speaker on library issues; current chairwoman of the Pennsylvania Governor's Advisory Council on Library Development.
Quote: Richey said she has made children's services a priority through programs such as a father-son book group in its 11th year at Mt. Lebanon. “It's so important to reach children early and get their families involved in developing literacy and preparing them for success in school. In this way, we will develop a population that can compete in this global environment.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Report linking field surface to cancer elicits Mt. Lebanon protest
- Allegheny County health officials call on retirement homes to stay vigilant on Legionella prevention
- Unexpected work delays Allegheny County Health Department’s move into former morgue
- Pittsburgh’s Veterans Day parade moves to Saturday
- Move-in begins at new homes on site of Hill District housing project
- Newsmaker: Robert E. Neely
- Parkway West off-ramps at Carnegie to close beginning Friday night
- VA promotion for administrator stuns legislator
- Savvy Service Employees International Union ‘keeps light on’
- Prosecutors say cyanide-death defendant Ferrante tested toxin on mice to gauge effect on human
- Water process eyed for 2 parks in Allegheny County