Newsmaker: Cynthia K. Richey
Noteworthy: The Association for Library Service to Children named her as its distinguished service award recipient for 2013. ALSC is part of the American Library Association.
Residence: Mt. Lebanon
Family: Husband, Jerry; two sons.
Occupation: Director of the Mt. Lebanon Public Library for the past 17 years.
Education: Bachelor's degree in English and master's degree in library science from the University of Pittsburgh.
Background: Began her career as a children's librarian in 1971; president in 1994 of the Pennsylvania Library Association; president of the ALSC in 2003 and 2004; frequent speaker on library issues; current chairwoman of the Pennsylvania Governor's Advisory Council on Library Development.
Quote: Richey said she has made children's services a priority through programs such as a father-son book group in its 11th year at Mt. Lebanon. “It's so important to reach children early and get their families involved in developing literacy and preparing them for success in school. In this way, we will develop a population that can compete in this global environment.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Storm could drop 4-6 inches of snow on Pittsburgh area
- Project to End Human Trafficking volunteers help Uganda
- Grandview development plan inches ahead in Mt. Washington
- Newsmaker: John O’Brien
- Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh doubles goal with $230M pledged in largest fundraiser
- Long-term solution for wastewater disposal eludes shale gas industry
- Mt. Lebanon High School to sell its planetarium equipment
- Lure of tuition aid, gifts draw college students to ‘sugar daddy’ sites
- ‘Line is definitely blurry,’ state police say of dating websites and prostitution
- Man arrested in massive Homestead fire
- Commander: City police working to improve accountability