Newsmaker: Cynthia K. Richey
Noteworthy: The Association for Library Service to Children named her as its distinguished service award recipient for 2013. ALSC is part of the American Library Association.
Residence: Mt. Lebanon
Family: Husband, Jerry; two sons.
Occupation: Director of the Mt. Lebanon Public Library for the past 17 years.
Education: Bachelor's degree in English and master's degree in library science from the University of Pittsburgh.
Background: Began her career as a children's librarian in 1971; president in 1994 of the Pennsylvania Library Association; president of the ALSC in 2003 and 2004; frequent speaker on library issues; current chairwoman of the Pennsylvania Governor's Advisory Council on Library Development.
Quote: Richey said she has made children's services a priority through programs such as a father-son book group in its 11th year at Mt. Lebanon. “It's so important to reach children early and get their families involved in developing literacy and preparing them for success in school. In this way, we will develop a population that can compete in this global environment.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ambridge police chief went undercover in attempt to catch person who robbed 2 people at knifepoint
- No federal funds to help enforce Pa. ban on texting by drivers
- Allegheny County Council wants to hike members’ $3K expense accounts
- Defying the odds makes this Thanksgiving particularly poignant
- U.S. Steel to relocate corporate headquarters on former Civic Arena site
- Man’s death by runaway wheel on Route 28 ruled accident
- U.S. Steel Tower tenants stand to benefit from company’s relocation
- Nude photos of Penn Hills High School students spur investigation
- Iraqi family, torn apart for opposing Saddam, reunites in Pittsburgh
- Lower gas prices entice motorists to drive long distances for Thanksgiving
- 6 shot at Clairton speakeasy; police seek suspects