Newsmaker: Liann E. Tsoukas
By Jason Cato
Published: Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 11:24 p.m.
Updated: Tuesday, February 26, 2013
Noteworthy: Tsoukas received the Tina and David Bellet Teaching Excellence Award from the University of Pittsburgh. It recognizes outstanding and innovative undergraduate teaching in arts and sciences.
Residence: Fox Chapel
Family: Husband, Scott Beasley; children Sia, 16, Lee, 14, and Diana, 12
Occupation: Tsoukas joined Pitt's faculty in 1999 and teaches modern American history, social movements, African-American history and women's history. She has taught in the Department of Urban Studies, the Office of Freshman Programs and at Pitt's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute.
Background: Tsoukas taught history at Carnegie Mellon University, the University of Missouri- St. Louis and as a visiting assistant professor at Washington University in St. Louis. She was nominated as an outstanding teacher at Missouri and for CMU's Elliot Dunlap Smith Teaching Award. She received Pitt's School of Arts and Sciences Student Choice Award in 2004.
Education: Bachelor's degree from Amherst College; master's degree in history and education, Indiana University; doctorate in history, Indiana University
Quote: “I'm not a tenure-stream professor, which means I'm here purely to teach. The satisfaction comes from the daily experience.”
- Bethel Park board rejects fact-finding on transportation
- Link between Washington County bomb threats, bank heist probed
- Stamps to mark Gettysburg’s 150th
- Competitors offer tips to Stanton Heights school startup
- Corbett wants clarification on education standards
- Newsmaker: Tom G. Leech
- Memorial Day weekend traffic expected to be slightly lighter than last year
- Government defends recording Armstrong County man’s jail conversation
- Mt. Lebanon School District to charge for sports, extracurriculars
- Militaries’ growing use of ground robots raises ethics concerns
- Networks swarm on death of UPMC doctor
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.