Newsmaker: Carol Wooten
By Carl Prine
Published: Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 11:30 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, February 27, 2013
Noteworthy: Recipient of the University of Pittsburgh's School of Education's Departmental Alumni Award
Occupation: Superintendent and chief executive officer of Propel Charter Schools
Family: Husband, Edward Tomlinson; daughter, Caroline Andrews; son, Robert Wooten; two grandchildren
Background: The former superintendent of the South Side Area School District, Wooten is a member of the board of Pittsburgh Habitat for Humanity and chair of Three Rivers Connect's board. She's on the Point Park University Undergraduate Education Advisory Committee, the Let's Move Pittsburgh advisory board and the advisory board for the Frieda G. Shapiro Center for Learning at the Community College of Allegheny County. She's also on the executive committee of the Forum for Western Pennsylvania School Superintendents.
Education: Bachelor of Science in Biology and Chemistry from Emory & Henry College; Master of German Literature from the University of Memphis; Doctorate in Administrative and Policy Studies from Pitt
Quote: “It's an affirmation of the many, many years I've put in on behalf of children and young people.”
- Trib poll: Peduto pulling ahead in Pittsburgh mayor’s race
- Militaries’ growing use of ground robots raises ethics concerns
- Humans will retain key role in robot use
- South Side group sponsors wide range of activities outdoors
- Campaign makes push for organ donations
- Just hold on, 911 officials say of busy signals, but frustrated callers want explanation
- Newsmaker: Heather Kaczorowski
- Flavors of the world treat for PSO fans
- ESU faculty warned of potential layoffs
- Accrued sick time weighs on Pittsburgh budget
- No known illnesses from Legionella bacteria found in Washington County VA clinic, official says
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.