Young achiever: Rebecca Silverstein
Family: Mother, Deborah; father, Lawrence; twin sister, Rachel; brother, Joshua, 16.
School: She is a senior at Quaker Valley High School.
Clubs/Organizations: Quaker Valley Vocal Ensemble, Pittsburgh Youth Symphony, Pittsburgh Youth Philharmonic.
Noteworthy: She was selected to participate in the National Association for Music Education All-Eastern Honors Choir and will travel to Hartford, Conn. in April to rehearse and perform with the choir.
Quote: “I've thought about it but it hasn't sunk in yet. … I was actually surprised. To get to that level you go to district, region and then state, and although I didn't practice for it, I somehow still got ninth chair.”
— Craig Smith
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Police charge Oakmont man in fatal Penn Hills shooting
- Police identify victim of deadly Homewood shooting
- AT&T offers customers option to text 911
- Pitcairn police department to carry Narcan for heroin overdoses
- 6 arrested after brief SWAT standoff in Fineview
- Pittsburgh city vehicle repair delays elicit gripes about Cincinnati company
- Pittsburgh bishop throws cold water on ALS group, which uses embryonic stem cells
- August Wilson Center event rentals thwarted by cooling system repairs
- Inbound Liberty Tunnel will reopen for morning rush
- Law targeting sexual violence prompts campuses to review, publish policies
- Scientists hope tiny robotic bee’s big dreams take flight