Young achiever: Rebecca Silverstein
Family: Mother, Deborah; father, Lawrence; twin sister, Rachel; brother, Joshua, 16.
School: She is a senior at Quaker Valley High School.
Clubs/Organizations: Quaker Valley Vocal Ensemble, Pittsburgh Youth Symphony, Pittsburgh Youth Philharmonic.
Noteworthy: She was selected to participate in the National Association for Music Education All-Eastern Honors Choir and will travel to Hartford, Conn. in April to rehearse and perform with the choir.
Quote: “I've thought about it but it hasn't sunk in yet. … I was actually surprised. To get to that level you go to district, region and then state, and although I didn't practice for it, I somehow still got ninth chair.”
— Craig Smith
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Federal jury says gas company shorted owners on royalties
- Loose barges on Monongahela River highlight woes of winter’s end
- Minority employment report: Diversified workforce lacking in Western Pa.
- ‘Bus rapid transit’ link from Oakland to Downtown slow to actualize
- Pittsburgh chess tournament likely to include pair of grandmasters
- Mt. Lebanon deer-culling corrals sprayed with urine, repellent
- Department of Education scrutinizes Point Park for response to sexual assault claims
- Newsmaker: Mark Lee
- 14 more arrested in connection with drug trafficking ring
- Police looking for Duquesne man they say assaulted 13-year-old girl
- Drilling group says Wolf overestimates expected tax revenue