Young achiever: Rebecca Silverstein
Family: Mother, Deborah; father, Lawrence; twin sister, Rachel; brother, Joshua, 16.
School: She is a senior at Quaker Valley High School.
Clubs/Organizations: Quaker Valley Vocal Ensemble, Pittsburgh Youth Symphony, Pittsburgh Youth Philharmonic.
Noteworthy: She was selected to participate in the National Association for Music Education All-Eastern Honors Choir and will travel to Hartford, Conn. in April to rehearse and perform with the choir.
Quote: “I've thought about it but it hasn't sunk in yet. … I was actually surprised. To get to that level you go to district, region and then state, and although I didn't practice for it, I somehow still got ninth chair.”
— Craig Smith
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Plum school officials ignoring help, advocacy group’s chief says
- It’s business, but not as usual in Pittsburgh
- Body found on North Side
- Garfield business reaches out to raise $90K for fixes
- Million-dollar charitable effort aims to help Homewood kids
- House floating along rivers will be new South Side Marina office
- Trade Institute of Pittsburgh helps rebuild lives of ex-convicts
- Comcast covers Western Pa. with volunteers
- Newsmaker: Alessandro Acquisti
- Burgess’ rivals for Pittsburgh council nomination owe money to government
- Pittsburgh pair plans rare trip to Iran for American classical musicians