Newsmaker: L. Robert Furman
Noteworthy: Named one of “20 to Watch” by the National School Boards Association Technology Leadership Network. The 20 are recognized for their ability to inspire colleagues to incorporate innovative technology solutions that contribute to high-quality learning and more efficient school districts.
Residence: South Park
Family: Wife, Tiffeni, 37, and two sons, Luke, 9, and Kyle, 5.
Occupation: Principal at South Park Elementary Center in the South Park School District.
Background: Music teacher in Pittsburgh Public Schools, assistant principal at Gateway School District and band director at schools in Texas, Maryland and Northgate Junior-Senior High School in Bellevue.
Education: Bachelor's degree in music education from West Virginia University in 1995, Master's degree in educational administration from Duquesne University in 2000, doctorate of education in instructional leadership from Duquesne in 2006.
Quote: “I am the epitome of wings and roots. My parents were educators for more than 40 years, and our superintendent and school board value technology and they value me being able to go out and spread knowledge.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Revenue from special Pennsylvania Monuments license plates to help maintain monuments at Gettysburg
- Pennsylvania amusement ride website leaves readers hanging
- Pittsburgh police force’s diversity worsens since ACLU filed discrimination lawsuit in 2012
- TED Talks event to appeal to Pittsburgh millenials
- Allegheny County’s crime lab ranks up there with world’s best
- Trac Fabrication all-terrain wheelchairs open world for disabled
- Carnegie Mellon University picks architect for business school
- Newsmaker: Rebecca Lane
- Toll road system traces roots to Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania Turnpike
- Scientists dismiss dire outlook for Western Pennsylvania winter weather