Newsmaker: L. Robert Furman
Noteworthy: Named one of “20 to Watch” by the National School Boards Association Technology Leadership Network. The 20 are recognized for their ability to inspire colleagues to incorporate innovative technology solutions that contribute to high-quality learning and more efficient school districts.
Residence: South Park
Family: Wife, Tiffeni, 37, and two sons, Luke, 9, and Kyle, 5.
Occupation: Principal at South Park Elementary Center in the South Park School District.
Background: Music teacher in Pittsburgh Public Schools, assistant principal at Gateway School District and band director at schools in Texas, Maryland and Northgate Junior-Senior High School in Bellevue.
Education: Bachelor's degree in music education from West Virginia University in 1995, Master's degree in educational administration from Duquesne University in 2000, doctorate of education in instructional leadership from Duquesne in 2006.
Quote: “I am the epitome of wings and roots. My parents were educators for more than 40 years, and our superintendent and school board value technology and they value me being able to go out and spread knowledge.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Scaife additions to elevate status of two museums
- Owner of Penn Hills tombstone business pleads guilty to swindling the bereaved out of $90K
- Allegheny County to stay open late for property tax discount seekers
- Groups seek $2.5M for North Side’s historic West Park fountain
- Pgh. International leader strives to inject Pittsburgh flavor into airport
- Man shot in Hill District
- Fire reported at recycling facility in Braddock
- Ramp projects across Western Pennsylvania to start this week
- No injuries reported in Holy Family Manor fire in Ross
- Carnegie Mellon University’s Speck device monitors indoor pollution
- Historian McCullough: Hometown Pittsburgh ‘one of the best cities’