TribLIVE

| News


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Mt. Lebanon cemetery won't host fireworks

Monday, March 4, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
 

Mt. Lebanon's annual Fourth of July fireworks won't be set off from the town's cemetery this year, as a result of worry last year over whether the event was disrespectful to the dead and their families.

Municipal Manager Stephen Feller said officials were trying to finalize the arrangements for the annual fireworks display when representatives of the Mt. Lebanon Cemetery said their corporate owners did not want to host the display again this year.

The fireworks had moved from their usual spot in the municipal park along Cedar Boulevard to the Mt. Lebanon Cemetery last year because of construction at the nearby high school taking up parking and viewing areas.

New Castle-based Pyrotecnico had set up the launchers on the access roads near the back of the cemetery, and police closed Washington Road in the evening. However, some visitors said they found the cemetery entrance partially blocked with cones and caution tape early on the day of the fireworks, and they were upset that they could not visit their loved ones.

“We're still exploring what the alternatives are. We don't really know yet,” Feller said. “(The cemetery officials) didn't say why, but there were some family members who'd expressed concerns about the location last year.”

A manager for the cemetery referred questions to the Glenshaw corporate offices of Cornerstone Family Service, but no one there could be reached.

Feller said the display could return to the park and people would just have to deal with the limitations imposed by the school construction, or it could be moved to the municipal golf course closer to the edge of the community.

Matthew Santoni is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-380-5625 or msantoni@tribweb.com.

Add Matthew Santoni to your Google+ circles.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 

 
 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Allegheny

  1. Beloved North Side gardener gets new truck, paid for by her neighbors
  2. Uber gains PUC approval to operate in most of Pa. for 2 years
  3. Propel school sends students home because of phone threat
  4. Medical examiner identifies man in Pleasant Hills police standoff as Justin Hay
  5. PennDOT says inbound Fort Pitt Tunnel will close around-the-clock this weekend
  6. Newsmaker: Laurie Sanders
  7. Psychiatrist: Man accused of setting Homestead fire not competent to stand trial
  8. Beaver County man arrested in 24-year-old Clinton County cold case
  9. Police stop car in Beltzhoover, find body in back seat
  10. Woman, 77, dies in Monroeville house fire
  11. Pa. police departments worry order on criminal seizures hurts bottom line