Bethel Park woman dies in fire in home
An 88-year-old woman was declared dead at the scene of a smoky Bethel Park house fire on Sunday afternoon, authorities said.
Bethel Park Volunteer Fire Department Chief David Gerber said the fire was reported in the 5300 block of Elm Street shortly after 1 p.m., in the home of a woman the Allegheny County Medical Examiner later identified as Jennie Martin.
Police had kicked the door in when firefighters arrived, and responders could see Martin lying on the floor inside, Gerber said. Firefighters pulled her out by 1:13 p.m., but medics declared her dead at the scene.
Gerber said the fire appeared to have started in and was mostly contained to the kitchen. Firefighters extinguished it with a single hose.
The Allegheny County Fire Marshal's Office is investigating the cause. An autopsy is scheduled for Monday.
Staff writer Bill Zlatos contributed to this story. Matthew Santoni is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-380-5625 or email@example.com.
Add Matthew Santoni to your Google+ circles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fall from Hazelwood roof kills man
- Icy roads, cold causing school delays, wrecks in Western Pa.
- The Exchange offers reward for information that leads to the arrest of person who shot Ross clerk
- Second African penguin chick hatches at National Aviary
- Tax exemptions cost Allegheny County governments $620M, auditor general reports
- Pittsburgh fraud case, Uganda-based counterfeiting racket linked
- German firm Nextbike to provide first 500 bikes for Pittsburgh sharing program
- Demand for modest housing for low-income tenants on rise in Pittsburgh
- Strip District merchants say pay stations will drive out shoppers relying on free spots
- Motivation in slaying of Penn Hills couple remains unclear
- Investors eager to trade cash for green cards in immigration program