Bethel Park woman dies in fire in home
An 88-year-old woman was declared dead at the scene of a smoky Bethel Park house fire on Sunday afternoon, authorities said.
Bethel Park Volunteer Fire Department Chief David Gerber said the fire was reported in the 5300 block of Elm Street shortly after 1 p.m., in the home of a woman the Allegheny County Medical Examiner later identified as Jennie Martin.
Police had kicked the door in when firefighters arrived, and responders could see Martin lying on the floor inside, Gerber said. Firefighters pulled her out by 1:13 p.m., but medics declared her dead at the scene.
Gerber said the fire appeared to have started in and was mostly contained to the kitchen. Firefighters extinguished it with a single hose.
The Allegheny County Fire Marshal's Office is investigating the cause. An autopsy is scheduled for Monday.
Staff writer Bill Zlatos contributed to this story. Matthew Santoni is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-380-5625 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Add Matthew Santoni to your Google+ circles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Beloved teacher at 3 Western Pa. schools hears from students across nation
- Feds admit cooperation remains an obstacle with corporations and cyber threats
- 2 sentenced for avoiding arrest after Steelers player was stabbed
- Duquesne teen to stand trial on charges he shot, killed unborn child
- 30 cited for blocking street at union rally at UPMC facility
- Pittsburgh Public Safety Director Bucar upset with DA Zappala for alert
- Pittsburgh seeks $20M a year from nonprofits in talks after dropping lawsuit, paying $148K in legal fees
- Most back Holy Family’s plan to house children who crossed border
- Detour on Bower Hill Road to end Friday
- Private parking lots slow to follow Pittsburgh’s increase in rates
- Foreign influx in Allegheny County at ‘tipping point’