Newsmaker: David A. Blaner
By Adam Smeltz
Published: Monday, March 18, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Monday, March 18, 2013
Noteworthy: Blaner will receive the 16th Arthur J. Birdsall Award in May from the Conference of County Bar Leaders, part of the Pennsylvania Bar Association. The honor recognizes Blaner's work as executive director of the Allegheny County Bar Association, where he has focused on building new membership services, the group's influence on state legislation and its diversity.
Family: Wife, Kelley; son, Zack, 21; and daughter, Lexie, 20.
Background: A former municipal manager in Robinson, Blaner joined the county bar association as assistant executive director in 1991 and became executive director in 2001. Membership has grown to 6,500, up more than 1,000 since 1991. Women account for about 60 percent of the increase. Blaner said he emphasizes gender equity, overall inclusivity and charitable work, including free legal services for the needy.
Education: Bachelor's degree in political science from Bethany College in West Virginia in 1981; master's degree in public administration from the University of Pittsburgh, 1982.
Quote: “I want people to be inclusive. My sense is that there's room for diversity of all different types at the bar association.”
- Mt. Washington's Grandview Avenue isn't looking so great these days
- Allegheny County police counting on remote-operated river vehicle
- Man attacked by dog in Carrick cemetery
- Facial recognition technology moving toward identifying almost anyone
- Congressional leaders unswayed by VA promises
- Militaries’ growing use of ground robots raises ethics concerns
- Organ recipients thank donor families
- Low turnout expected in Tuesday’s primary
- Coast Guard volunteers offer help to ensure boaters stay safe
- Debate on drones raises issue of safety vs. privacy
- Trib poll: Peduto pulling ahead in Pittsburgh mayor’s race
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.