Serra Catholic alumni told of 1993 Boston case involving a former teacher
For the second time this year, the Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh has notified alumni of Serra Catholic High School in McKeesport about a former teacher who is the subject of a child sexual abuse allegation out of state.
Spokesman Ron Lengwin said diocese officials read press accounts of abuse that allegedly occurred in 1993 in Boston involving Kenneth Ghastin, a Franciscan brother who taught at Serra Catholic from 1983 to 1991.
“According to our policies, we contacted Serra Catholic alumni (Monday),” Lengwin said.
As of Thursday, Lengwin said, the diocese had received no response to the Ghastin letter or to one in January sent to parishes and alumni about the Rev. Michael Ledoux, a Franciscan friar.
Ledoux served as pastor of St. Pamphilus in Beechview from 1993 to 1995, headmaster of Serra Catholic from 1995 to 2000 and as adjunct professor at Duquesne University from 1997 to 2000.
Ledoux resigned in July as a dean at Widener University in Chester because school officials learned of a 2003 allegation that he sexually abused a teenage boy in New Hampshire during the 1980s.
Lengwin has said the Pittsburgh diocese received no allegation of abuse involving Ledoux while he was here.
Bill Zlatos is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7828 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Shooting of Pittsburgh cab driver spotlights risks of profession
- Forbes Road Career and Technology Center students restore vehicle that will be donated
- Group urges Port Authority of Allegheny County to fund more transit routes
- Renovation planned for blighted homes in Garfield
- Newsmaker: David A. Harris
- Carrick crime ‘blitz’ shows early signs of success
- Pittsburgh nonprofit 412 Food Rescue takes surplus food to needy
- Alpine touring skiing movement faces uphill climb in Western Pa.
- Pittsburgh police deliver 2,500 Thanksgiving meals through program
- Police investigating after cab driver shot in Hazelwood
- Thermal scans could resolve age-old enigmas of Egypt’s pyramids