Newsmaker: Dr. Abhijit Kulkarni
By Luis Fábregas
Published: Wednesday, March 27, 2013, 11:54 p.m.
Noteworthy: His work in the field of diseases of the pancreas will be recognized by the National Pancreas Foundation. The group will host The Courage for a Cure fundraiser on June 21 in The Duquesne Club, Downtown.
Family: Wife, Rina Gandhi-Kulkarni; daughter, Tanvi; son, Chirag
Occupation: Gastroenterologist at Allegheny General Hospital and medical director of the hospital's gastroenterology laboratory. His research focuses on pancreatic cancer and pancreatitis.
Background: Kulkarni is board certified in internal medicine and gastroenterology and serves as assistant professor of medicine at the Drexel University College of Medicine.
Education: He attended medical school in India and later completed residency training at the Medical Center of Central Massachusetts. He also completed a fellowship at AGH.
Quote: “Pancreatic disease is very common and it is increasing. It can lead to devastating outcomes. More research and more funding is necessary to help in the fight against it.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Patients denied as donor organs discarded
- Castle Shannon man accused of crashing way down Pittsburgh street
- Pope Francis inspires incredible optimism
- One dead, one wounded in shooting at Chartiers party
- Film tax credits bill would bump up state budget
- Bethel Park man to receive degree from Pitt he earned 64 years ago
- Newsmaker: Rosalind Ross
- Year after City Council OK, gunshot detection system unactivated
- South Fayette mother wants case against bullied son to be dropped
- Obama hopes to replicate CCAC job training efforts across United States
- Man found fatally shot in Larimer a mile away from Homewood peace march