Newsmaker: Dr. Abhijit Kulkarni
Noteworthy: His work in the field of diseases of the pancreas will be recognized by the National Pancreas Foundation. The group will host The Courage for a Cure fundraiser on June 21 in The Duquesne Club, Downtown.
Family: Wife, Rina Gandhi-Kulkarni; daughter, Tanvi; son, Chirag
Occupation: Gastroenterologist at Allegheny General Hospital and medical director of the hospital's gastroenterology laboratory. His research focuses on pancreatic cancer and pancreatitis.
Background: Kulkarni is board certified in internal medicine and gastroenterology and serves as assistant professor of medicine at the Drexel University College of Medicine.
Education: He attended medical school in India and later completed residency training at the Medical Center of Central Massachusetts. He also completed a fellowship at AGH.
Quote: “Pancreatic disease is very common and it is increasing. It can lead to devastating outcomes. More research and more funding is necessary to help in the fight against it.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fire evacuates Knoxville apartment building
- Dense fog slows Western Pa. morning rush hour; advisory extended
- Photos offer clue to assailant in fatal North Side Pittsburgh stabbling
- Point State Park honored as top-notch public space
- Pirates bow out of postseason in quiet fashion
- Advocacy groups call for closer scrutiny of charter schools
- Ground broken for fourth building at Pittsburgh International Business Park
- Newsmaker: Taris Vrcek
- PennDOT to install art murals along Route 28
- $5M Penn Avenue reconstruction project is ‘killing everything’
- Peduto hopes to reach contribution deal with nonprofits by year’s end