Police: Westmoreland County sheriff's deputy arrested with drugs
By The Tribune-Review
Published: Wednesday, April 3, 2013, 11:48 p.m.
A Westmoreland County sheriff's deputy who just completed her training in December was arrested on Wednesday in East Liberty when undercover officers spotted her and a companion using heroin in a vehicle parked in a store lot.
The deputy, Erika Ditch, 24, of Greensburg, and Leann Wechtenhiser, 24, of Derry were arrested on charges of possession with intent to deliver. City detectives said they found multiple stamp bags of heroin along with syringes in their purses and inside their vehicle. Ditch told detectives that she and Wechtenhiser purchased multiple bundles of heroin.
Detectives said they became suspicious because it appeared the women were using the drugs inside the vehicle, which was parked in an area of known drug activity.
“Obviously, we are very disappointed,” Westmoreland County Sheriff Jon Held said Wednesday night. The two women were awaiting arraignment in Night Court.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Former PPG executive indicted in fatal N.H. crash
- Landmark former school in Pittsburgh’s Hill District to incubate startups
- Wuerl tells faithful all Catholics are responsible for schools
- Wilkinsburg woman, 24, dies in crash
- 4-car crash near Fox Chapel snarls Route 28 traffic
- Democrats consider Pittsburgh for 2016 national convention
- Trial begins in Steelers stabbing
- Bullied South Fayette student’s case prompts wiretap overhaul legislation
- Post 9/11 veterans lend skills to community leadership course
- Proposal to drill in West Deer and Frazer draws comments from both sides
- Fitzgerald wants Allegheny County to issue $247M in bonds