Police: Westmoreland County sheriff's deputy arrested with drugs
A Westmoreland County sheriff's deputy who just completed her training in December was arrested on Wednesday in East Liberty when undercover officers spotted her and a companion using heroin in a vehicle parked in a store lot.
The deputy, Erika Ditch, 24, of Greensburg, and Leann Wechtenhiser, 24, of Derry were arrested on charges of possession with intent to deliver. City detectives said they found multiple stamp bags of heroin along with syringes in their purses and inside their vehicle. Ditch told detectives that she and Wechtenhiser purchased multiple bundles of heroin.
Detectives said they became suspicious because it appeared the women were using the drugs inside the vehicle, which was parked in an area of known drug activity.
“Obviously, we are very disappointed,” Westmoreland County Sheriff Jon Held said Wednesday night. The two women were awaiting arraignment in Night Court.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Family of Children’s Hospital transplant baby urges feds to change cochlear implants policy
- Scientists dismiss dire outlook for Western Pennsylvania winter weather
- Toll road system traces roots to Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania Turnpike
- Trial near for Shaler man paralyzed in Pittsburgh police shooting
- Pro skateboarder Tony Hawk draws crowd of 1,500 to break in Carnegie Park
- White House threat sparks call for wider immigration debate
- Heavy rain prompts flood advisory for Allegheny, Westmoreland counties
- Bridge inspections, washing to impact Pittsburgh traffic
- Timing of summer’s end a matter of perspective for Western Pennsylvanians
- Monroeville firefighters hope hot photo calendar will help raise money
- Mother, son displaced by West Mifflin fire