Police: Westmoreland County sheriff's deputy arrested with drugs
A Westmoreland County sheriff's deputy who just completed her training in December was arrested on Wednesday in East Liberty when undercover officers spotted her and a companion using heroin in a vehicle parked in a store lot.
The deputy, Erika Ditch, 24, of Greensburg, and Leann Wechtenhiser, 24, of Derry were arrested on charges of possession with intent to deliver. City detectives said they found multiple stamp bags of heroin along with syringes in their purses and inside their vehicle. Ditch told detectives that she and Wechtenhiser purchased multiple bundles of heroin.
Detectives said they became suspicious because it appeared the women were using the drugs inside the vehicle, which was parked in an area of known drug activity.
“Obviously, we are very disappointed,” Westmoreland County Sheriff Jon Held said Wednesday night. The two women were awaiting arraignment in Night Court.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ross brothers ordered to pay fine, remove debris from Christmas display
- Pittsburgh councilwoman: Peduto seeks to reroute money from North Side project in retribution
- State law complicates Allegheny County proposal for letter grading of restaurants
- 12-year-old’s donated heart joins families, lets her memory live
- Newsmaker: Terri Liberto
- Pittsburgh police officers start wearing video cameras
- Beechview man arrested on child pornography charges
- Former Rollier’s store to become art gallery, cafe
- Pittsburgh VA director gets more time to appeal firing recommendation
- Pittsburgh Trails Advocacy Group volunteers cut trail in South Park
- Rules hamper Franklin Regional attack victim scholarships