Police: Westmoreland County sheriff's deputy arrested with drugs
A Westmoreland County sheriff's deputy who just completed her training in December was arrested on Wednesday in East Liberty when undercover officers spotted her and a companion using heroin in a vehicle parked in a store lot.
The deputy, Erika Ditch, 24, of Greensburg, and Leann Wechtenhiser, 24, of Derry were arrested on charges of possession with intent to deliver. City detectives said they found multiple stamp bags of heroin along with syringes in their purses and inside their vehicle. Ditch told detectives that she and Wechtenhiser purchased multiple bundles of heroin.
Detectives said they became suspicious because it appeared the women were using the drugs inside the vehicle, which was parked in an area of known drug activity.
“Obviously, we are very disappointed,” Westmoreland County Sheriff Jon Held said Wednesday night. The two women were awaiting arraignment in Night Court.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Food assistance rises in Western Pa. despite drop in jobless rate
- Killings of police officers leave departments on edge
- Pope Francis calls for abortion mercy
- Judge allows conspiracy lawsuit against UPMC, Highmark to proceed
- Animal activists targeting Vick at Steelers preseason game
- Woman commits suicide in North Braddock police holding cell
- Risks don’t get any better as online dating prospers
- Newsmaker: Bob Gilbert
- Pittsburgh councilwoman introduces pair of bills to protect animals
- Shaler man charged with homicide, abuse of corpse in McKeesport woman’s death
- Pittsburgh poised to settle lawsuits from deadly flash flood in 2011