Police: Westmoreland County sheriff's deputy arrested with drugs
A Westmoreland County sheriff's deputy who just completed her training in December was arrested on Wednesday in East Liberty when undercover officers spotted her and a companion using heroin in a vehicle parked in a store lot.
The deputy, Erika Ditch, 24, of Greensburg, and Leann Wechtenhiser, 24, of Derry were arrested on charges of possession with intent to deliver. City detectives said they found multiple stamp bags of heroin along with syringes in their purses and inside their vehicle. Ditch told detectives that she and Wechtenhiser purchased multiple bundles of heroin.
Detectives said they became suspicious because it appeared the women were using the drugs inside the vehicle, which was parked in an area of known drug activity.
“Obviously, we are very disappointed,” Westmoreland County Sheriff Jon Held said Wednesday night. The two women were awaiting arraignment in Night Court.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Transplant patients in limbo over coverage under UPMC-Highmark pact
- 1 intruder killed, other shot and wounded in Carrick home invasion
- Fitzgerald stacks legislative wins as Allegheny council members struggle
- Bucar grilled by City Council, likely to win approval as public safety chief
- United States proposes tougher rules for moving crude oil, ethanol by rail
- $24M water filter project at Aspinwall treatment plant nears kickoff
- Revised anti-nepotism policy lets Allegheny County judges keep family in jobs
- Newsmakers: Miriam Klein, Amy Kerr
- Fox Chapel native to take part in documenting sunken D-Day invasion craft
- Black leaders back developer’s offer, say it could save August Wilson Center
- Moon Area board reconfigures elementary buildings, votes again to close school and explore merging with Cornell