Police: Westmoreland County sheriff's deputy arrested with drugs
A Westmoreland County sheriff's deputy who just completed her training in December was arrested on Wednesday in East Liberty when undercover officers spotted her and a companion using heroin in a vehicle parked in a store lot.
The deputy, Erika Ditch, 24, of Greensburg, and Leann Wechtenhiser, 24, of Derry were arrested on charges of possession with intent to deliver. City detectives said they found multiple stamp bags of heroin along with syringes in their purses and inside their vehicle. Ditch told detectives that she and Wechtenhiser purchased multiple bundles of heroin.
Detectives said they became suspicious because it appeared the women were using the drugs inside the vehicle, which was parked in an area of known drug activity.
“Obviously, we are very disappointed,” Westmoreland County Sheriff Jon Held said Wednesday night. The two women were awaiting arraignment in Night Court.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- New CEO eager to revitalize Pittsburgh International Airport
- Sting highlights demand for Pappy Van Winkle bourbon
- Police say couple in Oakland murder-suicide had ‘troubled’ relationship
- 2nd lawsuit filed against Gov. Wolf seeking reinstatement of open records director
- Goodell defends league, dodges difficult questions
- Pa. Turnpike claims software fraud, wants $45M
- Beloved North Side gardener gets new truck, paid for by her neighbors
- Pittsburgh mayor denies ethics investigation into his ‘Undercover Boss’ performance
- Overnight snow delaying schools in Western Pa.
- Week before sentencing, Ferrante seeks acquittal or new trial
- Federal grand jury indicts man for violating poultry law while operating illegal slaughterhouse in his Jefferson Hills home