Police: Westmoreland County sheriff's deputy arrested with drugs
A Westmoreland County sheriff's deputy who just completed her training in December was arrested on Wednesday in East Liberty when undercover officers spotted her and a companion using heroin in a vehicle parked in a store lot.
The deputy, Erika Ditch, 24, of Greensburg, and Leann Wechtenhiser, 24, of Derry were arrested on charges of possession with intent to deliver. City detectives said they found multiple stamp bags of heroin along with syringes in their purses and inside their vehicle. Ditch told detectives that she and Wechtenhiser purchased multiple bundles of heroin.
Detectives said they became suspicious because it appeared the women were using the drugs inside the vehicle, which was parked in an area of known drug activity.
“Obviously, we are very disappointed,” Westmoreland County Sheriff Jon Held said Wednesday night. The two women were awaiting arraignment in Night Court.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pittsburgh mayor Peduto goes ‘Undercover’ for CBS reality show
- Allegheny County district attorney prosecutors move on to state office
- Search for Duquesne University graduate Kochu continues
- Alliance aims to transform vacant parcel in St. Clair to include townhouses, urban farming
- Fatal fire under investigation in New Castle
- Pittsburgh’s Hill District revitalization project hits financial hurdle in TIF
- Vigil honors 6 homeless who died in Pittsburgh in 2014
- Garfield residents plan rally over Bottom Dollar site
- Carnegie skatepark set to close for the season
- Newsmaker: Jason Tarap
- Pittsburgh adjusting to new bicycle lane, ‘stop boxes’